Talk

Advanced search

what to do about a party

(11 Posts)
madame Wed 06-Aug-08 11:12:33

my daughter will be 3 in September and I want to have a party for her. When I looked into the party organisers I found out that they all average about £200.

I can't really afford that but also I am scared stiff of having it at home and having to do all the organising and the children not having enough to keep them occupied. I wouldn't know where to start.

Any advice please on what i should do?

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 11:20:05

All you need is crisps,sarnies,sausages, biscuits, cake and drink.Maybe party bags?

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 11:20:35

Let them run around for an hour and maybe put some music on/do pass the parcel/musical chairs. Second hour spent eating.

madame Wed 06-Aug-08 11:22:09

What's a good number to invite as our house isn't that big and if it rains

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:24:00

at that age id invite just 3 or 4 friends round and play musical bumps, have a disco, have something to eat, cake, musical statues, then home time

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 11:24:04

Between 5 and 10. Don't worry if it is a squish. Kids like it. Have you thought of hiring village hall? We can have ours for ten quid.

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 11:24:23

an hr and a half to 2 hrs is long enough

ecoworrier Wed 06-Aug-08 11:31:03

Invite no more than 5 children. At that age, many (most) parents will want to stay too.

Party should last 1 1/2-2 hours.

Let the children play. Have a few organised activities/games every now and then. We also did a 'craft' activity - e.g. make your own party hat/crown. Have tea. Get dressing up things out, have party/pop music to dance or play along to. Give out party bags (or we used to have a lucky dip box). Send children home.

To be honest, at age 3 I would just have a family party and save bigger parties for later. Children don't care at this age.

madame Wed 06-Aug-08 12:01:58

thank you for all your thoughts

piratecat Wed 06-Aug-08 12:05:42

if the weather is fine, and you have outside space.

Put up a little slide (borrow one if need be)

Bubble machine --they will play with it for EVER

pop up tent--as above.

If the weather is rubbish, then get yourself a set of face paints, for those who can sit still. Even just doing a butterfly on the face can be cool.

Honestly the time goes so quickly.

piratecat Wed 06-Aug-08 12:07:03

yeah i agree with ecoworrier, when my dd was 4, we had 5 kids and mums over, and it was plenty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now