Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cats have bought in a baby bird. How can i help it

(24 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Wed 06-Aug-08 10:56:23

It is breathing and when i rescued it it opened its beak to be fed. It has no visible wound other than its foot. It is not making any noise though,

LilRedWG Wed 06-Aug-08 10:58:50

Have a look for a local animal rescue centre on yell.com. IME, RSPB will tell you to put in a box/makeshift nest high up where it's mother can find it. I couldn't bring myself to do this though as the cat would have just returned and grabbed again, so I took to a nearby rescue centre for birds.

CvQ Wed 06-Aug-08 10:59:05

put it in a box maybe and see how it is later.can you get some worms for it?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 06-Aug-08 10:59:23

how small is it and do you know where they may have caught it from?

if you suspect that you know where the nest is put it back outside in a secluded place near the nest and there is every chance the mother will come back and rescue the baby bird

CvQ Wed 06-Aug-08 11:07:27

im not sure if this is right but isnt there a chance of the mummy bird rejecting it if its got foreign smells on it ie humans?

actually i might be taking rubbish.do birds have noses?hmm

LilRedWG Wed 06-Aug-08 11:09:27

Yeah CvQ, but they are a bit beaky - geddit?

Well, I laughed.

CvQ Wed 06-Aug-08 11:12:50

grin

twinsetandpearls Wed 06-Aug-08 11:19:39

I thought the mother would not want to know as i had touched it. It has walked in my kitchen so it can't be too badly injured. I am not sure where it is from but will sit out in the garden to watch for a nest. I have got a box for it and will look for some worms.

TinkerBellesMum Wed 06-Aug-08 11:27:16

I'm sure you're right about the mother rejecting it. I'd call the RSPB or your local sanctuary or country park.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 06-Aug-08 12:51:02

no the mother will come back for it even if you have touched it. birds dont do that smell thing. the mother will only abandon it if she thinks rescuing it could endanger herself or her other babies.

it may not be able to eat whole worms yet if it is very small. my dad used feed any rescue birds we had tinned catfood by hand. some vets take in injured birds so it might be worth calling your local vets.

nooonit Wed 06-Aug-08 13:23:09

We had an injured bird in our garden last year - it had flown into the window sad

Rang a few places and was eventually told that all vets are obliged to take injured wild animals.

Local vets took it but it unfortunately didn't make it.

May be an option if the mother doesn't come back.

twinsetandpearls Wed 06-Aug-08 17:02:39

It is currently in my kitchen asleep after feasting on three worms that i have dangled into its beak. I am listening and watching out for its mum. I tried putting it near where i thought it had come from but a catfrom up the road was eyeing it up.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 06-Aug-08 17:04:42

if its eating the worms you can probably look after it yourself easily but you will need to teach it to catch worms itself.

fill a catlitter tray with soil and worms of course and let it have a go. and will needing feeding every few hours.

twinsetandpearls Wed 06-Aug-08 17:10:18

I will try but it is a greedy bugger. It crying for food again. It wont be easy to keep is safe with two cats and a dog.

whooosh Wed 06-Aug-08 17:12:27

If it ends up staying with you it may be easier to go to the local pet shop/reptile place and buy mealworms or the maggotty-looking ones I can't remember the name of.

Pick them up in tweezers and feed like a Mummy bird.

twinsetandpearls Wed 06-Aug-08 17:20:29

Good idea, at the moment i am feeding it using my kitchen tongs

CvQ Thu 07-Aug-08 15:47:24

how is the bird doing?

whooosh Thu 07-Aug-08 15:48:27

I was just wondering the same thing!

CvQ Thu 07-Aug-08 15:49:56

smilei heard one outside the window and suddenly rememberedgrin

CvQ Thu 07-Aug-08 20:38:22

tweet tweet

twinsetandpearls Thu 07-Aug-08 21:11:13

It died last night. It seemed fine, was eating and them went to sleep and did not wake up.

CvQ Thu 07-Aug-08 21:41:22

sadat least you tried

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 07-Aug-08 21:46:52

it will have been shock it happens to most rescue birds. there was nothing that you could have done sad

twinsetandpearls Thu 07-Aug-08 22:17:18

I hope it was nothing I did. I was worried that I had not chopped its food up enough. It seemed fine one minute and the next it was dead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now