Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone an NCT antenatal teacher or postnatal leader?

(15 Posts)
Elmosgirl Tue 05-Aug-08 19:56:50

Not sure what subject to put this in.

But is anyone (or training to be) an NCT antenatal teacher or a postnatal leader?

I would like to do one of the courses, not sure which one yet they both sound great.

What I want to know is, do I have to be really involved with my local branch, I have literally just moved to the area and have been in email contact with the local chairman (woman) but not actually 'done' anything for the branch although have volunteered my services to them, have sent her an email saying I would like to train but haven't heard back yet?

Can they turn me me down, I am desperate to do this course, I know I can complete it and be really good at the job once I am trained, is something I feel really passionate about.

Also those that are trained would love to hear about your job.

Housemum Tue 05-Aug-08 20:22:06

Might be worth asking to chat to one of the existing teachers, or someone else from the committee? Always easier to approve an application if you can put a face to the name, if you are new to the area. I'm treasurer of our local branch - we've not turned anyone down in the time I've been here, but then we have known the people who have applied either directly or friend-of-a-friend. Only issue would be if the branch was struggling for cash, as we have to pay 75% of trainee expenses (you pay the other 25%)

I presume by "do I have to be involved" you mean "already involved" as when you are a trainee/qualified you will obviously be involved a fair bit.

No experience myself of the training but it is pretty involved - you attend tutorial sessions and have a fair bit of coursework to complete. Takes a few years I think.

Good luck.

staranise Tue 05-Aug-08 20:28:56

In our area the teachers are quite separate from the branch and the branch no longers pays for the training (this is a recent change). However, we are always trying to get the teachers more involved and a couple come along regularly to the meetings etc. It's not obligatory to volunteer for the branch as well but is seen as good practice and the trainees at least normally od a bit (once teaching you may find that your evenigns etc are taken up with classes anyway). I've got a feelign that you have to be nominated but your local chair anyway, to get onto the course. It would certainly be a good idea to meet with one of the current teachers anyway, so get a greater sense of what's involved.

If you check out the AIBU toic, there's an enormous and ongoing thread about NCT classes....

amazonianadventure Tue 05-Aug-08 20:48:16

You will be expected to probably help out at an event or so but trainees are not expected to take on committee roles etc whilst training.You will just need to make contact with your branch to say your applying and possibly attend commitee meeting to say hello etc

have you contacted a tutor yet?

hth

Elmosgirl Tue 05-Aug-08 20:58:41

Thanks everyone.

I haven't contacted a tutor, I didn't know whether I needed a 'yes' from the local branch before I go ahead?

Just to clarify I am happy to be involved in the branch and volunteer for anything I can, just as I am new to the area I haven't done anything as yet other than email the chair and introduce myself to her and wonder if this would count against me that I am new?

I have a degree so know that I am capable of completing the course just want to know how to get started on it

Elmosgirl Wed 06-Aug-08 11:50:20

Bump

Does anyone know if I need to get a 'yes' from the branch before I contact a tutor or can I just go ahead?

Thanks

amazonianadventure Wed 06-Aug-08 13:13:31

just go ahead, what i did anyway, the branch dont pay for you anymore so they cant say no

Elmosgirl Wed 06-Aug-08 13:15:20

oh really, so is not to do with the branch anymore then? Is it head office that pays now?

WinkyWinkola Wed 06-Aug-08 13:18:03

I just contacted a tutor but then I'm self funded. If you want your branch to pay for you, then I think you'll have to go via your branch.

I don't think you have to get involved in the branch necessarily. Not if they want you to get through the course and start teaching for their area anyway.

Be warned, it's very interesting but it's a lot of work. I've never had a problem with studying before and with two little DCs, I'm really toiling. It's very frustrating. It's not the course - it's the circumstances. Anyway, I hope you get onto the course. Where are you, Elmosgirl?

WinkyWinkola Wed 06-Aug-08 13:18:49

Oh, I didn't know HO paid now? Then just go for it, Elmosgirl.

Elmosgirl Wed 06-Aug-08 13:20:30

I am in Cambridgeshire but my local branch is Huntingdon. I imagine it will be a lot of work but something I really want to do, as I said I completed a degree 2 years ago so know what studying for a long time is like, am terrified that they won't accept me for the course, just want it all sorted now.

WinkyWinkola Wed 06-Aug-08 13:28:08

Nah, don't worry. They're gagging for ANTs. I'm sure your commitment and enthusiasm will see you on the next intake.

Good luck!

Elmosgirl Wed 06-Aug-08 13:41:38

I really hope so, just need to decide what course to do, am leaning towards the antenatal one I think.

Any antenatal (or postnatal) teachers want to tell me how much work they get?

amazonianadventure Wed 06-Aug-08 22:17:48

still a student cant comment but they are always screaming out for teachers as they dont have enough to keep up with the demand

BranchingOut Thu 02-Jun-11 13:50:29

Just bumping this thread up out of interest, as I am thinking of doing the antenatal or postnatal leaders course.

If you are training, how is it going? Also, what are the pros and cons of working in these roles?

Any other tips appreciated!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: