Talk

Advanced search

Naming Ceremony advice please

(8 Posts)
littlemisssplendid Mon 04-Aug-08 17:42:19

Thinking of having a naming ceremony for dd but haven't got the foggiest how to go about it.

Where do you have it? Does it have to be in a licensed place like weddings are? What sort of structure does it follow?

Help!!!!Please

VaginicaKnickersovsky Mon 04-Aug-08 17:44:54

In Scotland you can do it a Registry Office, I'd imagine it's similar other places. I'd start with your local Registry Office and see if they can advise you more

VaginicaKnickersovsky Mon 04-Aug-08 17:46:17

civilceremonies might help??

weeonion Mon 04-Aug-08 17:46:43

we had a naming day in april. really really special day for us and the Humanist Celebrant was great in talking over ideas to plan our day. check out their website for local celebrants.

Elkat Wed 06-Aug-08 10:33:01

Check out the humanist website - they do a book that you can use to help you get ideas. They can also provide you with a celebrant if you want a humanist to do it. (Can google humanists, and it will come up!)

AbbyLou Wed 06-Aug-08 12:35:48

Another advocat for Humanist ceremonies here! We had a Humanist naming day for our ds in 2005 led by a local celebrant. We are just organising a second one for our dd at the end of September with a different celebrant as we have moved areas. They are really helpful and you can pretty much do what you like in the ceremony. It can be anywhere you like, even your own home. We are having ours at a local village hall as we have a lot of guests coming. We have found/written poems, ds is presenting dd with a Me To You Bear, we're doing handprints of the children and having the music we want. It really can be tailored to your needs. It is costing £120 for the celebrant, £60 for the room and hire and food costs. We had so many lovely comments after ds ceremony as a lot of people don't know suxh a thing exists.

witchandchips Wed 06-Aug-08 12:39:36

We did it at home in the garden. was basically a lunch party (that went on til 3 in the morning!) with really lovely speeches from god(less) parents, parents + grandparents. Plan to do exactly the same for dc2 (currently in my tummy)

browndivegirl Sun 10-Aug-08 18:05:12

I'm planning a ceremony in sept at our local registry office with a reception afterwards at our home... Am really looking forward to it - just searching for example promises that our 'supportive parents' could say........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now