Talk

Advanced search

urgent headlice help neeced!!!!

(26 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seb1 Mon 04-Aug-08 17:29:38

We went to the pharmacy and were told this is good and it was hedrin

seb1 Mon 04-Aug-08 17:30:57

also used conditioner and and double layered comb, not a nitty gritty though.

feedmenow Mon 04-Aug-08 17:31:56

Yes, nitty gritty combs get eggs out. But I don't know where sells them!! Round here, just one little independant chemist seels them! Maybe they have a website with stockists.....

CarGirl Mon 04-Aug-08 17:33:43

Boots sell them go and ask at every pharmacy counter - perhaps ring around so you can just send your dh out once!

yes they do get nearly all the eggs out.

DontNeedAnything Mon 04-Aug-08 17:35:08

Nitty Gritty comb is 100* better than the double layered comb and the bug buster comb. Yes if definately does get the eggs out, which obviously prevents them hatching; and crawling; and itching; and spreading.

Hedrin will not treat the eggs so you will have to wait for nature to take it's course and let them hatch and itch and spread...although it is supposed to be very good at treating the crawlers.

You should be able to get it from Boots or an independant chemist (about £10 but worth it).

My favourite technique is to rinse the Nitty Gritty in a jug of water between combs; at the end teh lice and eggs will sink to teh bottom and you can see how treatment is progressing (you should get less every time).

Flossyjim Mon 04-Aug-08 17:38:55

I know this sounds awful but the ONLY thing that rids of headlice is paraffin. Pour it on the hair whilst hanging over the bath then comb thru with the Nitty Gritty comb. Leave for a little while then rinse off. (It's a wonderful conditioner by the way). All this crap they sell in the pharmacies are complete rubbish and never work. Keep checking and whack in some Nitty Gritty oil regularly if you have some.

seb1 Mon 04-Aug-08 17:43:06

Hedrin must be repeated after seven days.

DontNeedAnything Mon 04-Aug-08 17:58:11

Flossyjim I am sorry but I disagree with you.

Incidently Paraffin treatment works exactly the same as Hedrin. It smothers them.

I have many a time successfully 100% erradicated hedalice with 1 week with the Nitty Gritty (every 2 days) and standard conditioner.

Flossyjim Mon 04-Aug-08 18:19:39

Fair enough DontNeedAnything. I only recommend it as I live on an island in the middle of the ocean, so paraffin is the best thing available...and it works for us! I have however tried other products when I've been back in the UK and nothing seems to work. My Nitty Gritty comb and oil was a good investment though, I must say.

Flossyjim Mon 04-Aug-08 18:33:40

Fine....but it works! And will not harm anyone but the lice! I didn't realise your DS was a baby. I'm assuming he's of school age....sorry if I upset.

dalek Mon 04-Aug-08 18:34:16

I use baby oil instead of conditioner - buggers don't seem to be able to hold on as the hair becomes so slippy - and it smells nice. Need to shampoo at least twice to get it out but it works a treat - good luck

Flossyjim Mon 04-Aug-08 18:39:23

I shouldn't assume of course!

DontNeedAnything Mon 04-Aug-08 22:15:40

tmmj; you can get "medical grade" paraffin; I think Vaseline is basically paraffin wax and lots of "creams and ointments" are dissolved in paraffin wax of some kind....so you do not dowse him in petrol or lighter fluid.

However, conditioner does the job equally well (actually it is the Nitty Griity which does the hard work); doesn't smell and rinses out easily so why use anything else???

QuintessentialShadows Mon 04-Aug-08 23:59:37

You need to schedule a total family delousing day. If he is badly affected, chances are you all are.

Order Nitty Gritty comb from their website, order the ointment too, a few bottles should do. They have really quick despatch.

On Delousing day:
1. Comb through his hair once with oil and comb.
2. Oil your own head.
3. Take off ALL bedlinen.
4. Stuff all clothes that he (and you) has worn lately which is dirty in the washing machine, including caps, hats and outdoor coats.
5. Comb through again on him.
6. Get somebody comb you through.
7 Shower him and wash his hair and get him dressed in clean clothes.
8. Shower yourself.
9. Get dressed. wink
10 New bedlinen on all beds.
11. Wine.

There. That will have you all sorted, and hardly chance of repeat.

Yes, You repeat the same steps 7 days later, as any eggs left will have hatched, but lice not old enough to reproduce and lay new eggs.

ellasmum1 Tue 05-Aug-08 01:20:14

Have just had this with my dd and me for first time and also used conditioner and nitty gritty comb every few days for one week and think we're both in the clear.
I have no idea how long dd had them for- thought they'd be far more obvious! It was the itching that gave them away!

Anyone I've spoken too is very sceptical about NOT using any chemicals and just using nitty gritty but lady in pharmacy(asda)who sold me nitty gritty comb said you do not need anything else but comb and conditioner as comb is so good. I have to say I am converted!

Flossyjim Tue 05-Aug-08 16:18:13

And once you've got rid of them, dab some pure essential lavender oil behind his (and your) ears. The little fuckers hate it, will help keep them away!

DontNeedAnything Tue 05-Aug-08 17:21:28

TMMJ...you don't actuaklly need to do most of what is on Quints list IME.

Headlice need to feed on blood every 8hrs (minimum) so any that end up on the pillow won't survive until you go to bed. The only thing I am really careful about is sharing hairbrushes.

With regards to teh repeat frequency; with a bug buster you have to repeat every 4 days to ctah lice before they are old enough to lay eggs....I am not sure why this is different to Hedrin hmm...maybe because the Bug Buster comb misses the tiny lice which will mature in less than 7 days cp to an unhatched egg. In any case I do it every 4 days (max) with teh Nitty Gritty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now