Talk

Advanced search

Calling IT people - help me with jargon!!!!

(7 Posts)
wordsmith Fri 11-Feb-05 11:35:36

I know a few IT types post on here so I'm hoping you'll be able to help me. I'm doing some editorial/PR type stuff for an IT Services company, which is great - they're a lovely company and pay on time which is unusual these days! - but I'm having real trouble getting my head round all the jargon and acronyms. For example today I have come accross RUP - Rational Unified Process methodology; and DVM - dynamic vendor management. If anyone knows of any more I may encounter could they post them on here with a translation, so I can appear all-knowing when I'm not? A virtual drink for anyone who helps me out!

wordsmith Sat 12-Feb-05 10:54:32

....anything, anyone?

AuntyQuated Sat 12-Feb-05 11:00:59

my dh may be able to help but he has just gone out for the day
will ask when he returns

SenoraPostrophe Sat 12-Feb-05 11:03:20

I'm an IT type and I've never heard of those terms. I'll ask DH if he has.

DissLocated Sat 12-Feb-05 11:51:36

My dp is a software developer - says he's never heard those either.

tribpot Sat 12-Feb-05 12:32:34

RUP is the 'new UML' I think - I read an article about this recently on The Register ... here . (Actually re-reading the article it's more of a proprietary standard for Rational, I'm sure you'll be able to find more info on their website about it, white papers and suchlike.

DVM I have heard of but only very vaguely, does this help at all?

IT is absolutely full of jargon, and there's always new stuff being invented. It might be better just to come clean with your client - they've not taken you on as an IT expert after all, and they should be able to explain their terminology to you. Just a thought.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 12-Feb-05 13:05:13

Well, I've just looked up DVM here - doesn't list Dynamic Vendor management.

Think it's a term that's been made up by this company.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: