Talk

Advanced search

When is the factory fortnight shutdown??

(9 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 04-Aug-08 13:31:38

Me and my mum are debating this. She thinks it is always the last week of july, first week of august and I think it varies depending on where you live.

Iklboo Mon 04-Aug-08 13:33:19

Do they still do this? Blardy hell - last place I nkew of did this last week in July, first week in August but I think it depends where you live so that the whole of UK manufacturing isn't shut down at once. If we still have any that is

cmotdibbler Mon 04-Aug-08 13:42:26

When my dad worked at British Leyland it was always the first two weeks of July - so nicely outside school holidays. Thus we never got to spend any of our summer holidays with him.

nappyaddict Mon 04-Aug-08 13:43:29

I think they always coincide with school holidays now although I could be wrong about that.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 04-Aug-08 13:47:15

In parts of the Midlands it is the first full two weeks of the school holidays - mainly car industry (historically anyway, not so much now). Usually works out to be the last 2 weeks in July.

I also heard a colleague recently describe the middle two weeks of August as "the main" 2 holiday weeks.

Elkat Wed 06-Aug-08 10:35:37

Where I am, the local car plant is the last week of july / first week of august. That is the tradition around here. Don't know about anywhere else though

Elkat Wed 06-Aug-08 10:36:37

Oh and I have just ordered a new bookcase, and the company that makes them (pinetum) also shuts down for this fortnight too.

FoghornLeghorn Wed 06-Aug-08 10:42:06

DH is a courier and was told it's this week and next.

islandofsodor Wed 06-Aug-08 21:43:28

Potters fortnight was always last week of June/first week of July.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now