Talk

Advanced search

A long shot, but does anybody here go kayaking with their young dc's?

(5 Posts)
handlemecarefully Mon 04-Aug-08 11:23:48

If so I could do with some advice.

Just bought an Ocean Kayak - the Malibu XL (to seat dh, me and the dc's aged 4 and 6) and I was wondering where I can get information on safe recommended places to go kayaking (i.e. stretches of rivers which do not have overly strong currents / rapids, safe harbour / bays etc where we won't be swept out to sea!

I live on Hampshire / Wiltshire border (between So'ton and Salisbury)

handlemecarefully Mon 04-Aug-08 11:27:56

Suspect I may have to bump this thread in a tedious way to keep it in Active Conversations in the remote hope of finding a kayaking mumsnetter! Please excuse me grin

MrVibrating Mon 04-Aug-08 14:04:02

There is nowhere that is safe for a novice on their own.

You need some help from experienced paddlers who know their local waters. For something near you (I don't know them personally but from the clubs near you on the BCU web site they look the most suitable), try Ringwood Canoe Club.

They paddle from Mudeford which is a great place for beginners and more experienced paddlers too but does have some local dangers you need to know about. Send them an e-mail (link on the site), tell them you have just bought a sit-on-top (don't call it a kayak because that will make them think of something like this) and would like some help getting started and I am sure they will sort you out.

Good luck and have fun with your boat!

handlemecarefully Mon 04-Aug-08 14:06:47

That's excellent - thanks MrVibrating

handlemecarefully Mon 04-Aug-08 14:12:28

Just looked at the website - its perfect! Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now