Talk

Advanced search

Help with "best woman's speech"

(5 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 16:31:09

A colleague of mine is going to be best woman at a wedding next week. She's getting pretty stressed about the speech. Although she knows the guy fairly well (obviously) and can talk lots about what a great guy & good friend he is etc she doesn't have any funny stories about him. He just isn't that sort of guy, but does have a good sense of humour. She is looking for generic stories / jokes she could adapt to him but is too maxed out to start looking. I said I'd ask you lot for help (and just hope the bride-to-be isn't a MNetter!)
It is second marriage and children from both sides will be there so not too risque.
Anyone any ideas?

edam Wed 30-Jul-08 18:02:49

I'm sure there are websites with ideas for best man speeches. Or does she know what his favourite funny story is? Maybe a starting point there?

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 18:17:45

I'm sure there are websites, she's just too stressed with work and home stuff to start looking, hence trying to take the easy option (MN!) to help her. I'll have a search later if I get the chance. Just trying to help her chill about it all!

saggyhairyarse Wed 30-Jul-08 20:55:24

Pam Ayres

Yes, I'll marry you, my dear,
And here's the reason why;
So I can push you out of bed
When the baby starts to cry,
And if we hear a knocking
And it's creepy and it's late,
I hand you the torch you see,
And you investigate.

Yes, I'll marry you, my dear,
You may not apprehend it,
But when the tumble-drier goes
It's you that has to mend it,
You have to face the neighbour
Should our labrador attack him,
And if a drunkard fondles me
It's you that has to whack him.

Yes, I'll marry you,
You're virile and you're lean,
My house is like a pigsty
You can help to keep it clean.
That sexy little dinner
Which you served by candlelight,
As I do chipolatas,
You can cook it every night!

It's you who has to work the drill
and put up curtain track,
And when I've got PMT it's you who gets the flak,
I do see great advantages,
But none of them for you,
And so before you see the light,
I do, I do, I do!

I know it is a reading but if she couldicorporate it into her speech and if the bride and groom have a sense of humour, then it is very funny! But it kind of has to fit the couple. This might help:

http://www.confetti.co.uk/article/view/7126-7875-0-Bestman_speeches__anintroduction.do

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 21:23:09

fab, thanks for that. I'd forgotten about that Pam Ayres poem. I doubt they'll be having any more babies but I'm sure it could be altered to fit. Will send that and the link on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now