Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy a name stamp to save me the effort of sewing in name tags?

(28 Posts)
bran Sun 27-Jul-08 10:52:41

Last year someone recommended GLTC, but they don't seem to be doing them this year.

I have iron-on name tags but tbh they take almost as much time as sewing and they don't attach properly on some fabrics.

TIA

Psychomum5 Sun 27-Jul-08 11:01:08

I have never heard of a name stamp, but I would absolutely LOVE one, seeing as I have five lots to sew/iron in each year.

and not just in school uniform either, I also have to name everything (and I do mean everything) when they go to scout camp for a week/weekend, and all their costumes for their dance shows, and when each girl has about 15costumes each and all the accessories, believe me, I have bad back and neck and hand after the three days it can take me!

soooooooooooooo

link me please to a stamp to relieve me of my misery.

bran Sun 27-Jul-08 11:04:22

I know, I'm kicking myself now that I didn't buy the GLTC stamp at the time. hmm But I had just ordered the iron-on labels and I thought they would be good enough.

Psychomum5 Sun 27-Jul-08 11:09:04

bran, iron in labels are ok, and they stick too (well, after I have held down the iron for twice as long as they state they stick!), but it does take a while still.

I prefer iron in over sewing I have to say, but you do still need to sew in sometimes as iron-in on some fabrics isn't recommended (especially if you are inclined to melt certian fabricsblush)

womblingalong Sun 27-Jul-08 11:13:10

Try here. (Sorry, can't do links)

http://www.markit.org.uk/acatalog/clothingstamp.html

bran Sun 27-Jul-08 11:17:21

Aha, found one

And a bit cheaper here

Psychomum5 Sun 27-Jul-08 11:20:51

excellent.......thankyou, am off to badger DH into ordering it for me!

bran Sun 27-Jul-08 11:28:58

The slight problem with it is that it's black only, and most of DS's uniform is navy, at least it'll save time on his t-shirts and underwear. I'll probably end up buying a pale fabric marker too, unless anyone can recommend some pale replacement pads?

Psychomum5 Sun 27-Jul-08 11:38:00

can you not stamp on the white label that is inside most uniform?

mine have a name tab label in most of their uniform so I stamp on that!

hoping that it would fit of coursehmm

bran Sun 27-Jul-08 11:44:46

Yes, that would work, especially if I do first name and last name on separate lines.

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 11:46:56

Laundry pen. Scrawl. Surname only. Sorted.

BettySpaghetti Sun 27-Jul-08 11:47:24

No use to you at the moment I know, but, Lidl occasionally do the ones like the one on Bran's second link and they're only about £2.99

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 11:47:38

Psycho, surely the oldest three at least can do their own?

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 11:48:19

I have never sewn in a name tape in my life and aim to keep it this way.

bran Sun 27-Jul-08 11:54:56

I may buy a silver fabric marker and do the surname thing as well, I'll see how I go with stamping on labels. The surname on it's own policy would only work for relatively unusual names though (which ds has, fortunately).

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 11:57:45

Works for us grin

Psychomum5 Sun 27-Jul-08 11:59:00

I don;t hink they would dare MI......I am a control freak when it some to uniform and get very jittery when they try to help....blush.

I guess I have got far too used to it!

I may get DD1 to help with doing her uniform and if she ruins it it is her stuff only thenwink.

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 12:03:00

I think it may be worth trading control for a comfortable back!

I like the idea of a silver fabric marker, I have to say.

Psychomum5 Sun 27-Jul-08 12:05:28

silver marker sounds good!

MI, yup, me thinks it may be about time I do allow my children to help more.

<<psycho jittering at the thought>>

partaria Sun 27-Jul-08 15:50:22

Easy2Name do iron on transfers - one type is a bit like the size labels on Baby Gap socks. There is also an ink transfer which goes on in seconds. have to say though that where possile I just write the name on in permanent marker and renew every now and again (as permanent never really means "stays totally clear"). I have 4dcs and life's too short to sew in hundreds of name tapes.

bevjotom Thu 31-Jul-08 23:23:53

just found a name stamp on ebay for 5.95 plus postage. think that's a really good price

Fimbo Thu 31-Jul-08 23:36:12

I am a slattern - I write the names on with biro.

I did start off with sewn name tags for dd, then iron ones (they fell off), then laundry pen (lost it) and now biro. blush

notasheep Thu 31-Jul-08 23:48:03

The iron on tags for dd have stayed on all items of uniform for 4 years!
Bought from The White Company.
ds at school in September so i am just going to cut off the Christian namegrin

Fimbo Thu 31-Jul-08 23:48:44

My failed iron-ons were from M & S

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 31-Jul-08 23:58:51

Har har fimbo - snap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now