Talk

Advanced search

London Cycling Mumsnetters - Have you used the Transport for London Journey Planner?

(7 Posts)
HarrietTheSpy Fri 25-Jul-08 18:48:53

And was it accurate?

Am considering cycling to work after maternity leave. The journey on the TFL website says one hour. I would be going through Hackney and into the City, down to Tower Bridge. This might not be relevant but just to give you an idea.

Has anyone found the estimated time they give for journeys to be:

1) well out, even for fit speedy cyclists
2) About right for fit speedy cyclists, but probably a bit out for reasonably fit(ish) people.
3) Realistic for reasonably fit(ish) people.

Woudl appreciate your thoughts.

Cehers

HarrietTheSpy Fri 25-Jul-08 22:04:54

Okay, I know this is boring but please don't let me set off on a supposed hour journey and have it be two. Please, any feedback smile

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 22:06:27

yes

better is walkit.com I thought as you can see the suggested walking route and then estimate your cycling time from it (watch out for one ways though)

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 22:07:18

although I did map my cycle route on the transport for london thingy and the timing was right for everyone I know who cycles in (but these are super fit people)

absolutely no blardy way I could do it in that time, probably double the time tbh

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 22:08:05

you know what I would do

map out a route you know on TFL

one you know how long it takes and then see what TFL says as an estimate

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 22:36:10

ok I have done 2 routes

1. was about right
2. underestimated the time by about 50-75%

don't think it takes into account steep hills either (which can really slow you down obviously)

HarrietTheSpy Fri 25-Jul-08 22:41:31

Thanks for that. That was a great idea. It might just be reasonable. Walkit is saying it's 141 minutes, TFL, one hour by bike. That seems relatively possible.

Whether I could do that in sleet, hail, snow and rain is another matter...

Thanks OI!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now