Talk

Advanced search

Really random question about school holidays

(7 Posts)
mrsmiller Tue 22-Jul-08 14:32:55

I have recently been offered a job in a school, that i am really pleased about but because it was quite sudden and unexpected and it's the end of the school year i didn't get a chance to ask about things such as holidays.
I know people who work in school get loads of holidays blah blah blah but the during holidays is (as i'm sure everyone is aware) busier and considerably more expensive.

SO my question is this. Do you get additional holidays when you work in schools or not or does it depend on the school/LEA etc?

Cheers

mrsmiller Tue 22-Jul-08 14:33:44

should be 'the during holidays holiday'

ecoworrier Tue 22-Jul-08 16:28:55

Do you mean can you take extra time off for a holiday in term time?

If so, no school I know would allow that. Some schools allow the odd day off for special reasons (a teacher friend was allowed a day off for her son's graduation), but not a week or more for a holiday.

That's the trade-off - more time off, but all holidays have to be taken in school holidays. Worth it still though, I think.

cece Tue 22-Jul-08 16:42:33

Is this a TA job as I do know of some TAs who were able to negotiate time off but either weren't paid or had to make up the hours in the weeks before and after their holiday. I think it owuld be at the discretion of the Head and the Governors tbh.

mrsmiller Tue 22-Jul-08 20:55:49

Thank you

Orinoco Tue 22-Jul-08 21:07:01

Message withdrawn

LIZS Wed 23-Jul-08 16:32:55

I'm on a termtime contract, althgouh nto in a school. My holiday hours and bankholidays are calculated then offset against the 13 weeks of non-term time. Although my job is officially 0.5 (so normally would be 17.5 hrs pw) I actually work 20 hours a week during the 39 weeks to make up the difference. So to answer, no there is no additional allowance for time off unless I work extra hours and agree it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now