Talk

Advanced search

Wedding speeches - how many is too many?

(6 Posts)
lilibet Mon 07-Feb-05 16:49:37

Dp and I get married soon, and we have no Father of the Bride as my dad is dead (dp's dad walking me down the aisle), the ds's are best men and are not really old enough to give a speech and dp didn't want to do one as he hated it when he was a best man. So we decided to ask two friends, one of mine and one of his to give a speech each and I would give one on behalf of both of us thanking everyone. So far so good, then dp decided that he would like to say a few words, but he still wanted me to do all the thank yous. So we were up to four. Then Dp's dad asked if he could do one as he would like to say a few words about my Dad and we both felt that we couldn't say no. So now we are up to five speeches!!

This really is too many, isn't it? Any suggestions on what to do to keep the guests awake? aaarrrggghhh

Hulababy Mon 07-Feb-05 16:52:58

Depends on how long they are going to talk for. If you can limit eah person to a short period of time each, then it'll be fine. I'd determine how long you want speeches to go on for - and work it from there.

Or why not be untraditional regarding the timings of the speech - and have one between each course?

amynnixmum Mon 07-Feb-05 16:53:31

I think 5 will be ok so long as everyone keeps them short. My dad talked for 20 mins when I got married. It was a good speech but we gave him a max limit of 5 mins when my sis got married. At sis's wedding there were 5 and they were all short and mostly funny.

lilibet Mon 07-Feb-05 17:06:31

the venue suggested one between each course, and as we are having six courses it would be no problem, but we dcided against it due to the amount of champagne that would be drunk!

Hulababy Mon 07-Feb-05 17:07:22

To get out of the champagne bit - ask the first speakers NOT to do the toast!

Gwenick Mon 07-Feb-05 19:14:46

We only had 2 speeches at the wedding to keep 'me' (well my dad actually LOL) happy. And DH was most shocked at the prospect of HIM having to say anything but I inisted so he did (although had NO idea what to say as he's never been to a wedding where the groom said anything LOL)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now