Talk

Advanced search

Thinking og relocating to the West Country, advive on location please

(15 Posts)
peacelily Mon 21-Jul-08 20:26:21

As much as I love Manchester it's been getting me down for a while, the traffic, the fact you have to pay well over the odds to live in a box in a nice area, and the fact it can be quite unfriendly as well.

The West Country appeals to me, I'd love to live somewhere more rural, friendly, and a little bit different.

Any suggestions, looking for a village location, 3 bedroom house (budget of £250k), somewhere friendly where there's plenty of outseide stuff to do. Anywhere from Cheltenham to Devon appeals but particularly Somerset.

Beetroot Mon 21-Jul-08 20:29:56

In many parts of Somerset you can find a house for £250K

here

Rachmumoftwo Mon 21-Jul-08 20:33:14

I'm in Somerset, and to be honest, there is loads you can get for your money. I live just outside Highbridge and recommend looking for houses within the Cheddar Valley schools catchment area- Watchfield, Mark, Blackford, Axbridge, Cheddar, Weare, Rooksbridge to name a few.

But other places are lovely too- schools are good in Burnham-on-Sea and Berrow, Wookey and Glastonbury are both nice. You are spoiled for choice really!

Beetroot Mon 21-Jul-08 20:35:58

where is the good school in Glastonbury?

I think you are better looking cheddar way at the kings of wessex school/hugh sexey etc

Rachmumoftwo Mon 21-Jul-08 20:39:23

I mentioned Glasto was nice, but didn't say about schools there. I only know about Cheddar Valley schools, which I think are fab- the ones that feed into Kings of Wessex.

sphil Mon 21-Jul-08 20:46:34

I live very near Glastonbury - you don't have to go far to find a great primary and secondary school (outstanding Ofsteds). Property is reasonable and the countryside is lovely. We moved a year ago from Sussex and haven't regretted it for a moment.

peacelily Mon 21-Jul-08 20:47:33

Also intersted in the standard of Maternity Care ante and post natal, have one dd22m and would like another dc soonish!

What about the community? I'm quite an "alternative" sort of person, do lots of yoga and love live music and people who have a open and altrenative perspective on life.
I suppose what I'm saying is that after living in a City for 14 years I'm wary of small minded people with closed mentalities and actively want to avoid anywhere like that.

Beetroot Mon 21-Jul-08 20:48:06

Ah sorry - I knwo the cheddar ones are great but not so sure secondary wise in Glastonbury.

Although I hear Crispen in Street is ok and The Blue in Wells is very good

Rachmumoftwo Mon 21-Jul-08 21:05:52

Peacelily, I think the Glastonbury area may be for you! There is a lot of camping locally, you should come and check the area out.

SazzlesA Mon 21-Jul-08 21:13:39

Message withdrawn

Rachmumoftwo Mon 21-Jul-08 21:31:50

I love Stroud too, it is lovely. Cider with Rosie land.

chonky Mon 21-Jul-08 21:35:25

Another vote for Stroud. We live nearby too - in fact we were at the fantastic farmers market this weekend.

SazzlesA Mon 21-Jul-08 21:37:05

Message withdrawn

peacelily Mon 21-Jul-08 22:07:01

Ok so Stroud and glastonbury, we both need jobs! Dh is a telecommunications engineer needs to be within an hours commute of work and I'm a nurse therapist in CAMHS and a recently qualified childrens yoga teacher.

What are the emplyment prospects like? Obv living in manc there's lots of choice for us both, is the rural South West more limited!?

Stroud sounds great, in a lovely area but only 1.5 hrs away from GPs and nearish to Birmingham. Does anyone have websites for Glasto and Stroud ( not the festival tho!) just to glean some local info?

SazzlesA Mon 21-Jul-08 22:20:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now