Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know how to bring in an extra bit of cash without working full time?

(10 Posts)
mad4mybaby Mon 21-Jul-08 19:13:26

DH earns a good wage but we have alot of debt and struggling to clear it and survive each month at the moment. First things first i cant go back to a proper job as have 2 yr old ds and am also 6 months pg.

We dont have any real luxuries each month and have shopped around on the usual utilities/insurance. I shop in morrisons and do my best to keep the price down.

i know everyone is struggling at the moment financially just wondering if anyone has found any ways to bring in some extra money? Cant find anything working from home and have done avon before and wouldnt do that sort of thing again.

Any suggestions would be great.

TotalChaos Mon 21-Jul-08 19:32:46

mystery shopping

nowwearefour Mon 21-Jul-08 19:34:34

take in ironing? do some paid babysitting? could do both those in the evenings after dcs in bed?

schneebly Mon 21-Jul-08 19:36:50

I do mystery shopping and babysitting. Not making huge amounts of money as yet but my babysitting client list is growing!

ivykaty44 Mon 21-Jul-08 19:38:20

do you do snowballing for the debt? This gets ride of the top whack interest first and this can in itself save you money.

Jajas Mon 21-Jul-08 19:40:08

Schneebly, may I ask who you do your mystery shopping through? I registered with focus4 but everything is based in London but I'm not!

Mad4, I really sympathise with your position, although my children are 6Yrs old I cannot find something to tie in with school hours and don't have any childcare. Tis very frustrating.

schneebly Mon 21-Jul-08 19:45:48

I am regstered with a few companies - best way to get plenty of work and spread out payment dates etc.

gapbuster
grassroots
bare international
retail eyes
gfk

best ones to try!

Jajas Mon 21-Jul-08 19:55:10

Thank you very much!

sorry for hijack blush

mad4mybaby Mon 21-Jul-08 21:16:36

i do do mystery shopping but we live in quite a remote area and the postings are always too far to make it worthwhile. I struggle with my own ds so i doubt id cope with babysitting to be completely honest, esp being pg im flat out when ds in bed i normally have to go bed too. What is the snowballing? We've done well with our debt over the last year and paid off the c/card with the highest interest rate. It is mainly our overdraft which we just cant get out of coz once dhs salary goes in and every thing goes out etc we still right down into it. The c/cards also dont help. we have 2 but a reasonably low amounts on them and quite low interest... we tried the debt phoneline people and even they said we were already doing the things they'd suggest. Ironically our house is killing us but we cant afford to sell because of the negative equity plus we have a £12k redemption fee on the mortgate if we move within 5 years plus the cost of the actual move/fees. and no we dont have room for a lodger! grin

Just depressing as dh gets really stressed about it but i cant go anything about it. Makes it worse as im physically not doing anything about it, hes actually earning IUSWIM.

Yorky Mon 21-Jul-08 21:36:36

Sympathy, which doesn't bring in much money I'm afraid. We're in a very similar situation, I know what you mean about it being frustrating not beeing able to get a job because you're pregnant, and feeling guilty as DH is the only one bringing in cash. But my DH keeps reminding me that It would cost approximately my wage to put DS in nursery so we wouldn't be much better off if I did work, even more so when there are 2 of them! At least you are paying things off gradually, it takes ages doesn't it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now