Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Allowance- Is this true???

(4 Posts)
ellideb Mon 21-Jul-08 17:03:05

Being self employed I have applied for Maternity Allowance to start 6 weeks before my baby is due (4th August).

Now they have just told me that I can only apply for it when I have actually finished work and not before, so that leaves them just the weekend to process the form. I finish work on the 1st of August.

They said they can't take my word for it incase I finish earlier due to tiredness for example. What is it to them if I do? It's not like I'd be claiming anything from them until the 4th of August anyway. I'd be the one losing out on pay.

What has annoyed me is the fact I'm going to be left without pay until they process my application which could take God knows how long. Then I will receive back pay. I was told to send off this application within 3 months of my due date so I would get paid on time.

I don't understand this really. I'm being told I can only send off my application on the day I finish work.
Is this right?

Flier Mon 21-Jul-08 17:12:52

I don't think this is right. Have you looked at the dwp website? here is all you should need to know

ilovemydog Mon 21-Jul-08 17:20:49

put this in employment topic - people who know about these things will see it there... smile

ellideb Mon 21-Jul-08 17:41:54

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now