Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else got a Facebook stalker but not got the heart to remove them as a friend?

(8 Posts)
Buckets Sun 20-Jul-08 21:01:01

Feel horrible about this but not enough to respond to the lady - just don't want to get involved. She was in my class at school when we were about 13 then moved abroad, still there, hence my saying yes when she contacted me on FB.
She appears to have borderline personality disorder (according to groups she is in), is clearly very vulnerable and advertises herself as such (other groups have names like 'Lonely in this world - where are you my friends and lovers',) sends 'True Friends' chain letter stuff, seems to have signed up to some pyramid scheme from what I can see on her profile etc. I've hidden myself on Chat because she kept spotting me, keeps saying Why haven't you replied etc.
I'm sure someone will say I'm being a cow and should talk to her and I did to begin with but it was clearly going to become several times a day. We just weren't close in the first place, I have plenty of people I was actually friends with I neglect enough without worrying about their publicly announced self-harming.
What would you do / have you done?

Fimbo Sun 20-Jul-08 21:04:11

What you have described is the exact reason why I have always been too apprehensive to join FB.

I don't know what to suggest you do.

ChipButty Sun 20-Jul-08 21:06:07

Ignore her. She'll get the message eventually.

BetteNoire Sun 20-Jul-08 21:06:35

Delete her from your friends list, and block her.

She sounds like she needs help, but that isn't your responsibility, as you're hardly close friends.

cafebistro Sun 20-Jul-08 21:10:23

I would remove her from your friends list...at least shes in a different country and so wont turn up on your doorstep!

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 20-Jul-08 21:13:01

Facebook probably shouldnt be this womans primary means of support.
If you block her, then she might just think you have left facebook.
I had a facebook stalker too, someone who clearly wasnt well. I spent far to long being nice and forgiving, to the point where friends were telling me to contact police. In retrospect I would have been better to have cut things at an earlier point.

Buckets Sun 20-Jul-08 21:23:25

OK, She knows I'm having a baby soon so could make birth announcement and do it then, perfect excuse.

madamez Sun 20-Jul-08 21:26:37

Yup, do that. She isn't your responsibility, whether she is mentally ill or just one of those people (I have a few of them) who sjut forward every pieceof crap they can find on the internet to everyone they know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now