Talk

Advanced search

recurrent dreams: what's yours?

(17 Posts)
binkie Mon 07-Feb-05 09:17:32

That, despite having never noticed it, there really is a third bedroom/extra floor/west wing to our flat. Comes in all sorts of emotional flavours - can be a magical discovery or a very scary one (eg extra floor is attic with crumbling collapsing floor).

What about you?

tallulah Mon 07-Feb-05 10:31:50

Not had mine for a while but I'm trying to lock the back door of the house I grew up in. There is something coming down the path. It's dark, so I can't see who/what it is but I know it's bad.

There are endless variations of this dream but in all of them I either can't close the door or the locks won't turn, or once I got the door locked & all the casement windows were open. One time it was light & there was an enormous black dog on the path, growling menacingly. Sometimes I give up with the door & race into the kitchen (again as it was before the parents did it up when I was a teenager) & this door won't lock/window open.

I always wake up before the thing reaches the door.

Hausfrau Mon 07-Feb-05 10:36:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jabberwocky Mon 07-Feb-05 10:40:56

I have two. One is that I have to go to the bathroom but there is always something wrong with the one I find - dirty, no door, etc. The other is my elevator dream. I get on but it doesn't take me where I want and sometimes starts to plunge through the basement or go out the roof.

Furball Mon 07-Feb-05 10:44:02

Not recurrent, but last night I dreamt I won the lottery. I had two lines and they both had five numbers and the bonus! I was really shocked when I handed over the ticket for the cashier to check and they give me £500,000 in cash. How great is that!!

Kelly1978 Mon 07-Feb-05 10:45:58

I have a nasty one where all these hurricanes are flying around destroying everything around me. At the moment I also keep dreaming about going to Temple - mainly because I should go and still haven't gotten round to it!
I'm sure I dream more while I'm pregnant - I don't know if this is common?

WigWamBam Mon 07-Feb-05 10:55:16

I dream about lifts a lot. Sometimes I'm just travelling in a lift, but I can never get to the floor I want, sometimes I'm in a lift that goes sideways, but my most frequent dream is that I live in a lift (it usually has a chocolate vending machine in it, for some reason).

I dream about doors that disappear too - a door will disappear and I have to squeeze myself in through a tiny hole in the wall instead - the hole is usually right at the top of the wall.

The other dream I have a lot is where I'm climbing stairs, but the flights don't join up properly so I can never get to where I want to be - I can see the flight of stairs I need, but the one I'm on doesn't connect.

I wonder what Freud would make of us all!

joash Mon 07-Feb-05 10:56:55

Used to have one where I moved into an old house that had another staircase going up from the landing to a blank wall. I knew that there should be a door there, but not why or how it has disappeared and a friend and I would stand at the bottom of the staircase looking at where the door should be.

Then the dream always switched to both of us running down the main street outside the house being chased by what can only be described as satanists. I always woke up when we were running. But the bit that always stuck in my mind, and somehow seemed to be the bit that scared me - was the non-existent door at the top of the staircase.

jabberwocky Mon 07-Feb-05 11:03:56

WWB, mine goes sideways sometimes too! It has happened a lot less frequently since I married dh. Years ago when I was in therapy (err, the first time - LOL) she said it could be because I wasn't sure what direction i wanted to go in.

tallulah Mon 07-Feb-05 13:23:26

jabberwocky, I have the toilet dream too!!!!

When I find one it's always somewhere like the middle of a room or a shopping mall, on top of a desk in an empty classroom (!) or has no door. Or is dirty or otherwise not useable.

Beansmum Mon 07-Feb-05 13:28:01

sorry to hijack but this has just reminded me of something. My mum was visiting last week and I mentioned to her in the morning that I had had a horrible dream and had to 'wake myself up'. She didn't know what I meant. I just kind of force my eyes open and wake up. Anyone else do this?

connyflower Mon 07-Feb-05 13:31:22

i always seem to dream about spiral staircases! in my dreams when i go into a house/shop/ building there always is a spiral staircase ive got to either go up or come down! wonder what it means

connyflower Mon 07-Feb-05 13:33:14

quite a lot of dreams about stairs????

jabberwocky Mon 07-Feb-05 16:41:43

Tallulah, a friend of mine who is a therapist told me that the toilet dream means I have a lot of s**t but can't find anyplace safe to put it! LOL

binkie Mon 07-Feb-05 16:56:52

Chocolate vending machine, what a brilliantly practical sub-conscious!

Could those disappearing doors be birth dreams?

tarantula Mon 07-Feb-05 16:57:15

I used to dream about having twins. Actually havent had that one since Ive had dd so maybe twill never happen.

binkie Mon 07-Feb-05 16:57:17

Also love the blunt therapist

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: