Advanced search

The Complex World of Mattresses

(22 Posts)
ks Mon 07-Feb-05 09:05:23

Message withdrawn

ks Mon 07-Feb-05 09:18:11

Message withdrawn

Kelly1978 Mon 07-Feb-05 09:22:00

I got a new mattress last week, and I am so happy with it, it is on sale at furnitureland http://www.furnitureland.co.uk/ShowRange.asp?SectionID=8&RangeID=48
Sorry can't do the link with this keyboard. I actually bought it from a local shop, who matched the price, and so paid £350 for a king sized mattress, and it is well worth it. It is really deep, firm and padded.

jangly Mon 07-Feb-05 09:25:01

I know its important to make sure the springs go right up to the edge. And I prefer a bed with under drawers as that means the mattress is on a board and that makes it firmer,(which I prefer). Bought our bed from John Lewis, DD's from Argos! (top of their range ). Its fine, but she's only home weekends so it doesn't get quite so much wear.

Kelly1978 Mon 07-Feb-05 09:25:03

sorry, here

ks Mon 07-Feb-05 09:26:05

Message withdrawn

jangly Mon 07-Feb-05 09:38:07

This looks a lot like ours here (and its not expensive!) We bought a separate bedhead.

jangly Mon 07-Feb-05 09:39:44

Oh, you have to buy the mattress separately! Thought that was a bit cheap!

Kelly1978 Mon 07-Feb-05 09:44:47

I tyhink mine was abt half price, so the bed should have been just over £1000. i can't justify spending over £2000 when it supposed to be replaced every 10 years anyway.

ks Mon 07-Feb-05 09:58:29

Message withdrawn

ks Mon 07-Feb-05 10:25:43

Message withdrawn

charliecat Mon 07-Feb-05 10:43:41

We got one of these after trying a VERY expensive one out in the shops and taking the risk and buying one for a third of the price on Ebay...me and dp both had nagging backache on our old mattress but neither of us do now and I cant recommend this highly enough!

ks Mon 07-Feb-05 13:53:23

Message withdrawn

SofiaAmes Mon 07-Feb-05 21:53:51

Ks...the secret is to buy the Bed Frame and the mattress separately. The mattress is the bit you lie on and decisions about it should be based on comfort. The bed frame is the bit you look at and decisions about it should be based on aesthetics. And of course there is price in both cases.
I personally have found that a firm mattress without a box spring is the most comfortable (and economical) way to go. No boxspring means that there is no bounce when one of you turns over in bed! We sleep on a firm sprung mattress that we bought at Dreams (it's their own inhouse brand, I think) and we chose it by going there and lying on all the mattresses in the store. However, our guest bed which gets rave reviews (I think you've even tried it out), is one of those firm Italian latex foam mattresses. It was a similar price to the sprung one (£3-400 for king). The bed frames were made by dh, but as a second option you could look at ikea or dhs or habitat or bo-concepts...
Email me if you want more info.

frogs Mon 07-Feb-05 22:07:24

It was a few years ago, ks, so the range might have changed since then. I'm trying to get some work done in between piddling about on MN, so I'm not going to offer to go downstairs and dismantle the bedding to find out.

But it was Argos top of the range one, a major mainstream manufacturer, could well have been silentnight. At the time we desperately needed a new mattress, but didn't have the money for anything fancy, or the energy for massive research. Our reasoning was that getting the top of Argos's range would take us to the middle of the middle market, and it would probably be fine. And it was.

misdee Mon 07-Feb-05 22:08:47

how much u willing to spend? i went to the Co-op and jumped on all the beds there. evenuatually found a silentnight one with divan sprung base for £600 than was king size and very comfortable. i was willing to spend upto £800 if there was one there i liked.

frogs Mon 07-Feb-05 22:09:34

Think we paid £349 or thereabouts for a king-size one.

ks Fri 11-Feb-05 18:45:31

Message withdrawn

melsy Fri 11-Feb-05 19:24:46

I used to be bed buyer, "Silentnight" are quite a good mainstream brand and Sealy are like the top end of the mainstream brands. All they are doing is using their own in house terms for quite simillar(patented)constructions.

Silentnights miracoil is just one continuous spring that go to every edge of the mattress. Designed so that if one person moves the other doesnt feel it. Sealy has a similar system inside. The difference within each bed that the brands offer is;

1)The firmness and that depends on the gauage of the springs(how hardened the metal is thats used for the springs)/
2)How many layers of filling(fibre,cork matting) /
3)what type of fillings(latex, dacron etc)/
4)and all this changes the thickness of quilting on the top.

Im not sure about whether Dreams have their own manufacturing , but most stores OWN VALUE BRANDS are usually companys like Airsprung or Perfecta and various other value makers.

melsy Fri 11-Feb-05 19:29:00

oh and yes the base of the divan,(matress with base, too can be different, some have just a wooden frame inside , others have springs in and some have more layers of other materials. The more they have the more they cost , and the fabric thats used to upholster them can increase the price to. More natural fibres used on a bed the higer the cost. majority of beds sold in Uk are mixed poly/cotton.

My GAWD how boring do I sound!!!! somone get me an anorak

Aero Fri 11-Feb-05 19:41:24

We bought a new Sealy bed about 18 mths ago and I can honestly say it's the most comfortable one I've ever slept in. Due to our growing family we bought a six foot one which fits us all on weekend mornings! It Cost £899 and has a sprug base and pillow top and is a 'no need to turn' bed. We've just finished paying for it (interest free) and it came from Bensons at Thurrock. We found them to be pretty helpful with info etc, having been to loads of other places who weren't incl Dreams and Allders amongst others.

Tissy Fri 11-Feb-05 19:52:07

we've got a Tempur mattress, can't remember how much it cost- a bit more than a sprung mattress, bUT it has a 15 year guarantee, which means it should last 50% longer than a sprung mattress. They really are VERY comfortable, and I speak as someone with chronic arthritis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now