Talk

Advanced search

Quick ebay/postal order question

(7 Posts)
marthamoo Mon 07-Feb-05 07:30:43

Sold some stuff on ebay this weekend - had a T-shirt up which didn't sell (it had one watcher but no bids). I have just had an email from the "watcher" to say she did want to buy it but couldn't get to her PC in time (that's what automatic bidding is for but never mind!)

She said could she still buy it and can she send a postal order. I only take paypal and cheques and don't know how postal orders work - are they similar to a cheque?
I know you're not supposed to sell off ebay and normally I wouldn't - but it's only £1 plus 80p P&P.
What do you think?

marthamoo Mon 07-Feb-05 07:31:02

She may be a Mumsnetter of course !

pixiefish Mon 07-Feb-05 07:32:48

postal orders are as safe as cash. if she's written your name on it then you have to pay it in to your bank account. if she hasn't then you can cash them at the post

NotQuiteCockney Mon 07-Feb-05 07:33:12

Postal orders are much better than a cheque - they can't bounce.

I was reading in the paper this weekend that a cheque can clear, and then they can find out it's stolen and take the money back, weeks later. Similarly, paypal can have problems with the credit card, and poof, the money you thought you had, you don't.

marthamoo Mon 07-Feb-05 07:39:37

Thanks for that - I'll tell her she can have it then!

It's worrying all this stuff about paypal taking back payments and cheques being rescinded (is that the right word?) I suppose any system is open to abuse and Ebay is so huge now it must be damn near impossible to regulate properly.

pixiefish Mon 07-Feb-05 21:04:45

marthamoo- if you're using paypal then don't send to an unverified address- that way paypal cover you for part of a fraud if it happens

SeaShells Mon 07-Feb-05 21:08:03

Postal orders are the best IMO, I had a paypal payment took back off me weeks after I sent the bl**dy item! And if cheques bounce I get charged for it by my bank! I often sell to buyers who were too late to bid, means you don't get charged the final value fee by ebay aswell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now