Talk

Advanced search

Adverts that really irritate you

(46 Posts)
JoshandJamie Fri 18-Jul-08 20:57:52

I hate that Venus razor ad. 'Reveal the goddess in you'. 'Feel like a goddess everytime you shave'. I almost so clearly see what their creative brainstorm was like:

'So people, what does shaving mean to a woman?'
'Well shaving makes women look better and...oooh....feel better.'
'Yes, they feel so great they feel like a goddess.'
'God yes, that's it, reveal the goddess in you. By george, I think we've got it.'

How about:
'Sick of looking like a hedgehog? Shave with our razor. It's comfy and because it's shaves nice and close, you won't need to do it again for several weeks. Thank god for that because who had time to shave their legs anyway?'

Any others?

mumlejumble Fri 18-Jul-08 23:20:55

Prefer your advert.

I hate razor adverts that state they have 8 billion [ish] blades or somthing.

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 18-Jul-08 23:22:19

Any washing clothes adverts...I've got pasta sauce stains on DS's white vests that don't go at 60 degrees let alone farking 30!

The constipation ones...its so un-British to bang on about our bowels isn't it!! grin

mazzystar Fri 18-Jul-08 23:22:42

The one with the little boy on the toilet - revolting

Find the laxative one based on SATC highly dubious also

bellabelly Sat 19-Jul-08 00:07:20

The price comparison one with smug irritating couple that says "we need to fly to Barcelona - as soon as possible!"

Also the marks and spencers food ads, breathy female voice going on and on -horrible.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sat 19-Jul-08 00:29:23

the AA advert claiming "we're the 4th emergency service"

er no, actually the COASTGUARD is the official 4th emergency service after fire, police and ambulance.

may the marketing mogul who came up with that one be cast out on a lilo to the sharks....

dizzydixies Sat 19-Jul-08 00:39:37

I used to hate the roller skating bodyform woman and did she parachute as well? haven't seen them for a while so am not sure if thats valid sorry

and why oh why rant on about special K and not wanting to have your photo taken when frankly if I looked that good in a red swimsuit I'd be wandering about pissing down scotland in said red swimsuit regardless

and the infected toenail one makes me want to puke everytime

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sat 19-Jul-08 01:20:41

getting pretty fed up of the Pampers ad on the side of mumsnet now too ... enough already!! go away !!!

LIZS Sat 19-Jul-08 02:08:46

"erectile disfunction ? " with frisky relatively youngish couple heading for the bedroom shown at 9.30 on ITV1. Glad our 10yo didn't ask about that one !

Kevlarhead Sat 19-Jul-08 02:10:33

Am I alone in finding the BUPA ad with the fallen robot really disturbing?

Every time it shuffles onscreen my brain goes through a set series of thoughts.

1. "That robot represents a small child like mine"

2. "That robot just fell over. It represents a child injuring itself"

3. List causes & effects of child falls, with reference to DS
-skinned knees
-bruised head
-tooth through lip
-fractured spine
-severe head injuries

4. "DAMN YOU, YOU EVIL AXA FUCKS! STOP MAKING ME THINK THESE THOUGHTS!"

5. Goto 1

Adblock!

Joolyjoolyjoo Sat 19-Jul-08 02:11:49

Ooh bellabelly- that price-comparison one makes my teeth itch- it's the way she says "as Shoon as poshible!" AArgh!

Kevlarhead Sat 19-Jul-08 02:21:01

Charlie Brooker on irritating adverts including that kid on the toilet.

Lollypopzmummy Sat 19-Jul-08 16:50:49

What about Andie McDoodah in the L'oreal ads?
Well, of course you're going to have deepset wrinkles when you screw your face up like that!!!! Muppet!

Litterbug Sat 19-Jul-08 16:52:59

The crunchynut cornflake ad where the woman scoffs them out of the box with milk in the car and THE MILK IS FAKE!!

angry

Flamesparrow Sat 19-Jul-08 16:56:36

I always feel sorry for Andie McWotsit - she started off doing young people's stuff and ended up hiding greys and fixing wrinkles.

cocolepew Sat 19-Jul-08 16:57:41

Any one where they are brushing their teeth. Especially the mouthwash one where him and her peer into the sink to see all the gunk.

Nagapie Sat 19-Jul-08 17:03:13

Olay one (I think) - some 'beauty' journalist trying to blind us with non-science ....somehow think that using big words makes it all okay ... grrr

Flamesparrow Sat 19-Jul-08 17:11:52

Why did they sack Nadine Baggott (celebrity beauty editor)?

NomDePlume Sat 19-Jul-08 17:17:53

Oh the andie mcdowell one where she says 'I love you' and swishes towards a little plane. She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wooden.

The annoying Davina McCall ads for hair dye

The weightwatchers one where they are all blathering on about how much BETTER the woman is since she lost weight and how much more her DH and her (manky) neighbour's DH fancy her now (where before she was a hideous old troll). Message - YOU ARE GROSS, JOIN US AND PEOPLE WILL LIKE YOU. Grrrr

Neeerly3 Sat 19-Jul-08 17:19:25

the M&S food adverts - hate hate hate her voice "this is not just food, it's M&S food" NO! it is just food, food with a ridiculously high price tag, oh and stop talking as though you are whispering into a mans ear before dragging him to bed and stripping him naked....

Heated Sat 19-Jul-08 17:23:37

The Weight-watchers one where the male neighbour now pervs at her and it only takes the beautician half the time to wax her ginormous massive tree-trunk legs.

Sidge Sat 19-Jul-08 17:25:32

I hate all the adverts for finance and loans. Especially that one where the woman was filming the man on the phone to the loan company.

Why would you do that? Why? WHY???

Tigerschick Sat 19-Jul-08 17:28:21

Halifax adverts in general but especially the one where they sing 'we are saving' ... can't get to the mute/channel button quick enough when that comes on!

<<tigers notes the irony of hating adverts for the bank she currently uses grin>>

bettythebuilder Sat 19-Jul-08 17:29:53

one I've just seen today for a french car manufacturer that is horribly horribly dubbed- don't be so cheap! Make a new ad for the UK!

Freckle Sat 19-Jul-08 17:30:16

The Special K one where the woman feels she's obviously too fat to be seen in photos, when in fact she is bloody farking skinny to start with. Lovely message to send out. Any bigger than this woman is to start with and you must be bleedin' enormous. Just eat our cereal and you too can look no different in the after photos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now