Talk

Advanced search

Help me chose the lighting for my lounge....

(7 Posts)
frankie3 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:05:01

We are updating our 1970's house and decorating our lounge/diner at the moment, which has inset downlighters. I know they look modern but they give off a very patchy light with dark shadows on the walls and ceiling, and I want to replace them with traditional pendant light fittings. But everyone says that it would be a shame to get rid them as they add a contemporary feel to the room and I'm now having doubts, thinking that maybe I should keep the lighting as it is, just adding table lamps etc.

What does anyone think?

frankie3 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:35:46

anyone?

babyOcho Fri 18-Jul-08 18:40:00

Not sure whether this helps, but pre-DD we put halogen lights in the what was then the spare bedroom. Really annoyed now and wish we had pendant light in there so she can have a nice lampshade instead. If I were to do it again, I would have pendant lights everywhere as it gives more options later on.

frankie3 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:42:40

I also prefer pendant lights in bedrooms, but most modern houses now have halogen lights in the lounge as they look more contemporary. But pendants add more character and give off a nicer light.

babyOcho Fri 18-Jul-08 18:52:41

we have halos in our living room and they annoy me there as well! luckily i pushed to have a pendant in there as well.

i dont know why, i really dislike halogens. i am a big fan of pendant lights, and you can get some really cool ones which are really modern. i mean, how cool it this one.

frankie3 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:59:20

Really like that one for over a dining room table. But do pendant lights and halogen lights all together in a room look OK?

babyOcho Fri 18-Jul-08 19:12:17

I think it depends on the way that you have the halos set. Eg, have the pendant in the middle and then halos in the circle around the pendant... if u have a sq room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now