Talk

Advanced search

I have some (more) questions about tipping

(10 Posts)
MrsSprat Wed 16-Jul-08 22:52:06

[actually, shouldn't there be an 'Etiquette Corner' for these social dilemmas]

Anyway aside from restaurants and taxis, who do you tip and how much?

My main areas of ambiguity are:

- Hotels (something extra on the bill or add bits to bar/meal bills as you go??)

- Chambermaids (something when you leave, something everyday, as you get different people probably)

- Room-service dude/dudette

- Hairdressers (the stylist/the hairwasher/ a flat rate or a % of 'the do')

- Who else?
- What's the difference in different countries?

For the grey areas, I generally panic and then don't bother, unless I know I'm coming back soon. I'd like not to do this!

flubdub Wed 16-Jul-08 22:53:02

None
none
none
none
none

They get wages !

gemmiegoatlegs Wed 16-Jul-08 22:57:21

Hotels - at bar, or helpful porters
Chambermaids - only when my dd puked on the bedcovers and i left the poor Parisian chambermaids a badly written note in French and some Euros!
I never order room service so can't comment
Hairdressers, about a fiver on a fifty quid style (so about ten per cent) . at my hair salon it goes in the pot and everyone takes a cut except from manager

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 22:58:17

When I was in US, we tipped everyone, for everything!

Blandmum Wed 16-Jul-08 23:00:23

Hotels I tip in resturants if the service has been good
Vhambermaids I have tipped when the kids have puked and once when my period started early while I was sleeping blush
room service we don't use, but would tip if we did
Do tip hairdressers.

And these people do get paid, but they don't get paid much

MrsSprat Wed 16-Jul-08 23:04:55

Yes the US and numerous semi-compulsory tipping opportunities present particular head-creasing for me.

I need a list of the priorities!

Blandmum Wed 16-Jul-08 23:06:35

In many US restaurants the staff just about depend on tipping to make a living. VVV much frowned upon not to tip

MrsSprat Wed 16-Jul-08 23:10:16

I absolutely don't resent it, and always tip in restaurants. However, are there people I am ignorantly forgetting at home or abroad?

Pavlovthecat Thu 17-Jul-08 11:06:09

I recall in US, stayed in a hotel and got take away pizza. DH was horriified when he checked m wallet and saw no change!

He actually went out to get some money as he said it was not acceptable to have the take away without giving the delivery person a good tip! He would just not do it, he said.

It was worth it, the best pizza in San franscisco!

raisinbran Thu 17-Jul-08 11:20:15

In Bermuda you also tip when they fill your car with fuel and at the supermarket when they pack your bags. It just becomes the norm and you build it in to your weekly costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now