Advanced search

Need some advice about setting up finances for DD for when she is older

(11 Posts)
EllieG Tue 15-Jul-08 20:00:50

Am in Jersey and had not heard child trust funds until something arrived in the post from Boots. I don't think we have them here, but I could be wrong.

I want to set up something for DD for when is 18 or so, so she has a bit to start up first place or whatever. Can someone intelligent who knows about finances (I am neither - in mitigation have 3 month old baby and brain is mushy) advise me on whether they are the best way to go, or if I should just open up a high interest account for her and pay in regularly?

What have other people done

VictorianSqualor Tue 15-Jul-08 20:08:14

I have no idea but we've just opened bank accounts within our own bank for DDDS1, each gets £10 a month paid in by standing order.
I figure it may not be the best but it's better than nowt.

notasheep Tue 15-Jul-08 20:12:01

Buy dd some premium bondsgrin

EllieG Tue 15-Jul-08 20:12:13

My ma and pa set up little endowment assurance policy things that paid out when was 21, but apparently they aren't so good these days. Think may just go for the bank account option as seems easier.

EllieG Tue 15-Jul-08 20:13:07

What's a premium bond? (Really am clueless about finances blush)

notasheep Tue 15-Jul-08 20:33:46

Go on national savings website and read all about them,dd has had a number of wins AND your money is safe.

Minimun investment £100
Maximum investment £30,000

EllieG Tue 15-Jul-08 21:45:04

Will do ta muchly x

fivecandles Tue 15-Jul-08 21:54:50

Halifax has a child bank account giving 10% inteerst

RambleOn Tue 15-Jul-08 22:02:48

Have a think about whether you are prepared to see your hardsaved money being spent by your DC at 18yo in a way that you find inappropriate.

Eg. My lovely, levelheaded, hardworking niece has just spent the £15K that her grandad saved over 18 years to spend on her higher education. She blew it all on a new car, having just been bought a second hand one by her parents for her 18th.

In a CTF, the child has access to that money at 18. If you set up an account in your name however, you can give the child the money if you think they are sensible enough. If you are a taxpayer though, you will pay tax on any interest accrued, whereas a childs account is tax-free.

Dunno about Jersey though, perhaps different rules apply. Pop into your local bank for a chat to see what they offer - you can get free advice smile

EllieG Tue 15-Jul-08 22:07:32

Good point. I think I got my moolah when I was 21, and used it for sensible things. 18 is a tad young. I can always give her a massive guilt trip though....isn't that what mothers do? wink

EllieG Tue 15-Jul-08 22:08:40

Didn't see that post about Halifax - will defo look into it thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: