Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where should I shop for clothes?

(105 Posts)
Lonelymum Fri 04-Feb-05 20:04:40

Having come straight from the what are you a snob about thread, I start this with trepidation, but please, genuine question, only genuine answers wanted:

Where do you suggest I shop for clothes? I am at heart a very boring M&S girl but I loathe the fact that no matter what I buy in M&S, I eventually see someone else wearing the same thing. Usually, as I am a size 10/12, they are bigger than me and look awful in it and thus put me off wearing my clothes again. Also, I have a dread of being in a situation where I will meet someone wearing the same thing as me. Even the Per Una clothes can be seen everywhere. Last year, I bought a top and wasn't actually wearing it at the time but I saw no fewer than three people wearing it (in different colours) in the playground in the space of two minutes.

I like Monsoon clothes but find them a bit expensive and they don't always fit me well.

Next I find mainly unsuitable for me as a SAHM.

I would buy in Tesco but again I feel the clothes are too popular and will be seen on every overweight slob I encounter whilst shopping (sorry, still in rude mood from snob thread).

I have been known to buy from La Redoute catalogue, but prefer to try things on first.

Where else could I try? (Don't like ultra trendy stuff, logos, paying through the nose for something that could be bought cheaper, eg expensive jeans, though did use to buy Levi 501s before the shop assistants became young enough to be my children and sneered at me for not being able to fit in to a size 8)

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 04-Feb-05 20:06:13

H&M. They have a great variety of clothes and they certainly won't break the bank.

Lonelymum Fri 04-Feb-05 20:09:01

I did think of that as I once bought a whole load of stuff for dd in there. Whewn I move to Bristol, I will look out for H&M. Thanks.

kernowcat Fri 04-Feb-05 20:09:31

I'm treading carefully after the 'snob' thread too!!!!
No idea where you live but small independant shops are great or charity shops................

leglebegle Fri 04-Feb-05 20:09:53

Its a nightmare I know, I have been through the same thing myself. I tend to wear by day - gap jeans and tops, sometimes next have a few nice tops, boden - the mail order catalogue sometimes have nice girly tops. I like Laura ashley for skirts, I bought some cowboy boots from a designer outlet place and wear them with jeans and tops. I bought a lovely parka style coat from Jigsaw, and get some tops from there. Benetton do some nice sweaters these days, and for going out stuff (who am I kidding) I like Coast which you can get as a concession in Debenhams if you don't have the shop by you. But I love department stores, they are by far the best bet. Just get someone to mind the babes, find the best one nearest to you and check out all the different brands under one roof. Oh and don't forget Zara, they have fab fashionable clothes reasonably priced, or H and M. HOpe that helps!

lowcalCOD Fri 04-Feb-05 20:10:25

now I am an ma dn s girl too
try gap for jeans partic or try kew

beansontoast Fri 04-Feb-05 20:11:36

yeah, zara.

lowcalCOD Fri 04-Feb-05 20:12:07

always looks like a humble sale int here IMo

lowcalCOD Fri 04-Feb-05 20:12:14

lol! jumble

Frizbe Fri 04-Feb-05 20:13:06

Dorothy Perkins have the odd bit of reasonable cheap staple clothing, Zara are also good, or how about Principles/Wallis, which are more along M&S Lines?

beansontoast Fri 04-Feb-05 20:13:37

what zara?..i used to walk passed it for years cos it looked too posh!!

Cristina7 Fri 04-Feb-05 20:14:06

East has some nice stuff and it's not too expensive either.

leglebegle Fri 04-Feb-05 20:15:21

god the zara in liverpool is intimidatingly stylish and fashionable. defo not a jumble. if it was i would feel more at home. I am always the worst dressed in there, and feel most humble standing next to the cast of bloody hollyoaks ....

Blossomhill Fri 04-Feb-05 20:15:52

Per Una @ marks and spencers

lowcalCOD Fri 04-Feb-05 20:16:08

lb and ytou REALLY shoudlnt

leglebegle Fri 04-Feb-05 20:16:59

oh, just thought, warehouse do a 'basics' range which is nice, they sort out the most 'fashionable' items each season, like tops, trousers whatever, and its really reasonably priced. defo worth a look.

Roobie Fri 04-Feb-05 20:17:08

I always have the same problem.....I turn up at Bluewater to buy a new outfit and only go into Next, M&S or Monsoon. Places like Zara always look too trendy or only for snake hipped size 8-10's - perhaps I should branch out!

leglebegle Fri 04-Feb-05 20:18:37

but cod have you seen them? my local coffee shop is right by where they film and if i see bloody mandy in there one more time flicking her hair i'm going to scream. i even went for lunch with my dh and he was salivating. i kid you not. all tits and highlights. her not me. (obviously)

leglebegle Fri 04-Feb-05 20:20:10

Roobie - Zara go up to a size 16, I often buy stuff from there, but you have to watch their tops, even their XL is a bit tight fitting. They have fantastic shoes though and dead cheap.

lowcalCOD Fri 04-Feb-05 20:21:00

I woudlnt recognise them

Lonelymum Fri 04-Feb-05 20:21:07

I have never in my life heard of Zara (except as the dd of Princess Anne). How sad am I? How long has it been around? 10 years, I'll bet. Anyway, I'll give your ideas a go when I get to Cribbs Causeway.

Frizbe Fri 04-Feb-05 20:23:42

yep Zara may look scarey, but I was pleasantly surprised to find nice cheapish clothing inside! The kids stuff isn't bad either, found some nice ski-ing type trousers for ss last year under a tenner!

kama Fri 04-Feb-05 20:24:07

Message withdrawn

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 04-Feb-05 20:24:16

I love that when you see Zara from the outside it looks very expensive and when you go in the clothes are quite expensive but as you walk towards the back of the shop it gets cheaper and cheaper.

Alot of the stuff is like H&M.

Gap is good but can be on the pricey side. I always wait for their sales.

leglebegle Fri 04-Feb-05 20:27:03

the only thing that puts me off h and m is that you have to wade through loads of stuff before you find a 'nugget' IYKWIM ? I dont have the patience.

COD - Hollyoaks, 6.30pm every night, channel 4, come on, you must have seen it or heard a reference to the hollyoaks girls??? given the job solely for size of breasts and length of hair?? they even have an exercise video out. mind you, so does babs windsor FFS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now