Talk

Advanced search

Our 12 week old puppy had a seizure last night ....

(16 Posts)
2sugars Mon 14-Jul-08 06:34:39

...any dog owners know anything about it?

H's first reaction was 'she's got distemper', but he was likening it to when he lived in the Borders, where by all accounts 30 years ago that was what happened. Millie hasn't been anywhere near anything that she could have caught.

Anyhow, we're all sad, particularly dds. Is there anyone that can tell me if this is a one-off, or is she epilepsic? She'd been following my sister's dog round the trampoline when it happened.

'Phoned breeder, 'phoned vet, ... I dunno. sad

Have googled puppies and convulsions, nothing useful there.

wigparty Mon 14-Jul-08 07:30:01

Aw, sorry 2sugars. Surely the vet can help with this though? Have you taken her in?

Feel sad for you and poor puppy, hope you can sort it out. I don't know if dogs get epilepsy but hopefully there's an effective treatment if they can.

Out of interest, was it a 'proper' seizure? Our boy sometimes has very vivid dreams and twitches and jumps in his sleep.

Hope she gets better.

sarah293 Mon 14-Jul-08 07:31:42

Message withdrawn

2sugars Mon 14-Jul-08 08:11:24

Shit, H is working tonight, have an appointment at 5.00pm and was thinking of cancelling it till she had another one.

What, do you think, can they make out from one fit? Or am I about to pay a whippersnapper for telling me it might continue?

bubblerock Mon 14-Jul-08 08:44:14

Is he insured yet?

2sugars Mon 14-Jul-08 08:58:09

br, yes, she is. Free thing from the KC. Might have been worth it after all. Have made appt for 9.45.

bubblerock Mon 14-Jul-08 09:01:36

phew - that's lucky, hope she's okay, let us know how you get on!

FloriaTosca Mon 14-Jul-08 09:13:07

Make sure your insurance is still valid and possibly renew it with one that keeps covering you from one year to the next (many only cover a condition for one year)... and definately go to the vet...Has she eaten anything unusual at all? Some perfectly normal foods are poisinous to dogs (chocolate, xylitol (chewing gum), onions, grapes/raisins to name a few)and could possibly cause convulsions....epilepsy is not that rare in some breeds (your breeder should know if your breed/line is suceptible)and though it is easily treatable in most cases, it is life long treatment and the cost mounts up...there are a lot of other reasons that she could be fitting, most dont usually happen to puppies but she does need checking out asap.

2sugars Mon 14-Jul-08 10:35:59

Good god, FT, I didn't know that. H read that grapes, of all things, are poisonous to dogs, but she did manage to get hold of a packet of chewing gum on the garden table on Saturday. It was only there because none of us use it - don't even know why I bought it.

She's just had a blood test. Poor thing had to undergo five 'goes' before the vet got some blood. Am so glad I took up KC's free 6 week insurance 'cos that alone cost £93. And that's before they get the results.

FloriaTosca Mon 14-Jul-08 12:36:13

2sugars;Glad she is being treated and that your insurance is current...kennel club isnt the cheapest but I think it is continuous. I sadly think it is essential these days, vets bills are astronomical; My Hs aunts' 10yr old boxer took ill last Weds and was euthanased the next day after MRI scan revealled a huge brain tumour...total bill £1,500!!!!). Renew yours immediately, puppies can get into so much trouble that we just cant foresee it could save you a fortune in the long run. I sincerely hope she is fine and it was just the chewing gum or some "funny" mushrooms from the garden or something. Keep us updated please.

2sugars Tue 15-Jul-08 05:40:03

Well, it was £93 to have a blood test.

If I'm ever reincarnated I'm coming back as a vet.

KC were good re the insurance thing - they're sending a claim form but I think I'll wait a while before putting in the final claim hmm Have a feeling this may be quite expensive.

Anyhow, no fits since and she's still the little bundle of love and joy she's always been ....

faustina Tue 15-Jul-08 06:51:49

2sugars as far as I can remember, when my dog had her first fit they booked her in for an mri scan before giving any treatment, so they could find out if it was due to something, most commonly a tumour, or ideopathic (it means for no reason). The latter is more likely in a young dog but I think it generally doesn't start until they're around one. If they find it's idoepathic they usually prescribe phenobarbitone to start with and have to monitor any side effects (can do damage to liver). There are other drugs to try if that one doesn't work. There's loads on the net about it - just google. Many dogs manage to have fits controlled by treatment - some go for years between each one. Do absolutely keep up with insurance - petplan covered all my vet bills. Also make sure the breeder knows - v. important. good luck, hope it's a one off

faustina Tue 15-Jul-08 06:55:15

ps put canine epilepsy into google if you have no luck with convulsions

FloriaTosca Tue 15-Jul-08 09:18:15

Good morning 2sugars. Glad to hear that she hasnt had another turn. Hopefully it will turn out to be something she has eaten. How is she today? Any results back yet?

2sugars Tue 15-Jul-08 12:57:13

God, you lot are soooo lovely!

Thanks for asking, she's been fine so far. Hopefully it was a one-off. Am just about to call.

FloriaTosca Wed 16-Jul-08 17:43:40

No news to share 2sugars?
Hope all is well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now