Talk

Advanced search

Where to live?

(32 Posts)
Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 19:39:24

My mate is living in Central London with two kids

She needs to be near/in London for work
her dh wants to be nearer to cardiff and out of London.

they are at a stale mate

When can they go?

they have 800 grand + to spend.

Need good schools.

lalaa Sun 13-Jul-08 19:41:23

Nightmare.
Think your mate needs to negotiate working from home. And then she can move to Bath. Which is fabulous.

lalaa Sun 13-Jul-08 19:42:06

I meant to say, negotiate working from home for a few days a week. Three or four ideally.

janeashersbookofspacecakes Sun 13-Jul-08 19:42:15

Wel sounds like being in commutBLE DISTANCE FROM lONDON IS TH IMPORTANT FACTOR and being to the west will make them a tiny bit nearer Cardiff. How about Slough!!

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 19:42:42

she is a freelancer and sees her clients in London

FabioTheLiterateCat Sun 13-Jul-08 19:43:27

Plot a point half way on the M4.
Suss out local schools and transport.

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 19:53:06

she is very very fussy

so I need some ideas of fabuous places that are easy to commute / or are in West London and give her dh a feeling of freedom and country

FabioTheLiterateCat Sun 13-Jul-08 20:03:01

Swindon is halfway - try asking local mners what it's like?
It's about an hour into Paddington on the train.
No idea about house prices.

Or could they have somewhere in West-ish London and a house in Cardiff for the weekends?

<calls Phil and Kirstie>

Dragonbutter Sun 13-Jul-08 20:05:03

<<whispers: Is this thread just bait to out Kirsty Allsop as a mumsnetter?>>

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 20:09:27

god no - she is far to much for them

she is the fussiest person I know and wild horses will have to drag her out of London. She just does not think there is life outside.

Buyt he really wants to be nearer his son.

and a bit of a country life

want houses not towns!!!!

FabioTheLiterateCat Sun 13-Jul-08 20:18:51

Oh, I see his pov completely.

Fk me you get a lot for your money near Swindon

And here.

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 20:21:10

and nearer London?

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 20:21:43

but thank you - I wil send them toher

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 20:51:58

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 21:23:59

Beetroot Sun 13-Jul-08 22:13:26

Humpdebump Sun 13-Jul-08 22:47:36

Funnily enough, I am in a similar dilemma, DH and I live in London and I want to move towards Cardiff. My DH has a teenage daughter from his previous relationship who lives in London (so we would like to remain within a reasonable distance of London to see her), although being a teenager, she is spending more time naturally with her friends rather than family these days). Work for DH is easier to find in London. We have 2 small children and I don't want to bring them up in London. I would rather a smaller city for their formative years but nothing too rural.
We looked towards Bristol, Monmouth and Abergavenney areas. So far I have found that Monmouth has a really good arts scene, is a lovely charming town, (possibly more expensive to buy property in town centre, although 800 grand would get a lovely place) not so sure about the surrounding areas though (?), seem to be loads of estates on the outskirts, (this is only based on a day of driving around though). Abergavenney appears a bit more small towny (is quite an upmarket place to live in comparison to surrounding regions) but has lots of interesting stuff around and about and is a bit of a foodie place (great if you are into that kind of thing and think you might miss it by moving out of London, they have an annual food festival each year, biggest in Europe!) Has a train station so commuting should not be that difficult though I havent checked the times from Lond to Abergavenny but driving is about 3 hrs. Bristol is the obvious, major and quite happening city nearby that could offer more work potential and is probably the closest to London life that you would get going west down the m4. I dont know an awful lot about the surrounding areas around Bristol - what they are like to live in but I am sure with such a big city then there must be many different types of areas to choose from. Anyway, hope they reach some kind of agreement, but i would suggest a weekend away at the above areas, even if they dont move that way, its a nice area to visit.

Humpdebump Sun 13-Jul-08 22:50:16

Oh yeah, apparantly Monmouth has excellent schools, might be private though, i know there are lots of private/boarding schools there.

LovelyDear Sun 13-Jul-08 22:51:18

this area is very commutable in both directions. And beautiful. And well-schooled.

issyissyissy Sun 13-Jul-08 23:14:45

Wokingham in Berkshire is right on M4 and easy for London and Cardiff. The schools are fab and life is good. Also it came out on a recent survey as the best place to live!!

Spaghettiarms Sun 13-Jul-08 23:18:05

cirencester lovely house?

Spaghettiarms Sun 13-Jul-08 23:19:57

or this still cirencester

Beetroot Mon 14-Jul-08 08:07:39

houses look great in Cirencester but don't think she will move that far.

can't find anything decent in Wokinham

3kids1cat Mon 14-Jul-08 10:38:13

This thread is making me want to cry.....stop showing all these lovely, amazing houses, that I will never in a million years be able to own, when I'm stuck in a tiny weeny 2 bed terrace, with 3 dc's and no way to move even to a 3 bed let alone these 5 bed houses on the water, with half an acre etc. Boo hoo, your friend is a very lucky lady to have this kind of dilema.

Beetroot Mon 14-Jul-08 11:10:25

yes she is in many ways - but it is becoming a huge problem in their relationship.

her fear of leaving London and his need to be out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now