Talk

Advanced search

Grrr, ebay again, silly silly me. :-(

(20 Posts)
Flossam Thu 03-Feb-05 18:01:16

this woman brought my phone off ebay, as everyone else said, brought from LA, wanted sending to Nigeria, said she was new, not used ebay before. Told her was UK only sale but would post it (after I went to post office to find out cost of postage to LA did she email me about nigeria, =second trip to post office)

Found out prices, airmail, sea mail, insurance. Translated into dollars. Insists on using bid pay, I allowed it. Nothing more heard. Then I check today and see this. Have emailed and told her the transaction is cancelled, she is no longer a registered user so I can't even have a bloody rant on there about her!!!

Yorkiegirl Thu 03-Feb-05 18:04:14

Message withdrawn

Flossam Thu 03-Feb-05 19:09:09

No not quite that silly. Just annoying as I will probably have to re list it.

jofeb04 Thu 03-Feb-05 20:16:21

Flossam,
Hiya, thats happened to us to. But it was when the lad hijacked the auction, stuck on a stupid high price for a mountain bike.
Email ebay and state its been unpaid because the person is unregistered and resell it.
Be careful if you recieve an email of the buyer out of ebay, my hubby recieved one from that prospticive buyer, stating that they would send a large check to us, we send the remaining amount back to the buyer. Dodgy money we think!!!

Yorkiegirl Thu 03-Feb-05 20:18:44

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Thu 03-Feb-05 20:46:11

nah jofeb- this was a scam- you send the difference to them and they then get their cheque reversed- don't know how it works but tis a fraud scam. also be careful that their credit card isn't stolen when they pay by pay pal- dh has had this 4 times now- has 'lost' nearly a grand- paypal will reverse a transaction and take the money back off you. this could be done if card is stolen or even some dodgy bas@@rds say that their son/wife etc has used the card without their authorisation- it's a minefield

JanH Thu 03-Feb-05 21:17:25

Somebody got into my Paypal account this week and used it to subscribe to a games website - 2 transactions, 20 euros and 30 euros.

Paypal are investigating it and I have been through the security procedure changing everything - but does anyone know how they get in?

pixiefish Thu 03-Feb-05 21:18:51

did they send you an email that made you follow a link jan?

JanH Thu 03-Feb-05 21:39:45

No, nothing like that, pf - I had last used it on Jan 13th to pay for something on ebay, and then out of the blue on Jan 31st I got 2 Paypal "Receipt for your payment to..." emails, a minute apart.

I notified that they were unauthorised and Paypal say they have been "put on hold" although the debit has already appeared on my credit card. They put the account on limited access until I changed all the security details but it's normal again now. I'm just really boggled that someone has got into it - I've had to change a credit card recently too - how do these people do this????

pixiefish Thu 03-Feb-05 21:52:15

that's a spooky one. There are spybots around that 'steal' info off your pc, record keystrokes etc. Have you got adequate virus protection and do you run adaware?

JanH Thu 03-Feb-05 22:00:12

Ah, we have just got paranoid in the last week or so about spyware and adware, mostly because they've been making everything run slow. We downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2 this week which has made a big difference; AOL has a spybot thing that runs regularly and DH is going to install Adaware or something when he has time. We have Norton anti-virus and firewall.

The AOL one never picks up anything serious though. Dunno if we need a commercial one? DH is off tomorrow so is going to sort it out (I hope!)

DS1 is always downloading off Kazaa and I keep on at DH to uninstall it but he uses it too...will have to speak severely I think! Any recommendations?

JanH Thu 03-Feb-05 22:02:00

Oh, must tell you, I had 3 separate emails from Paypal about this and they were signed off by Orla, Clodagh and Maeve...do you think they might be based in Eire?

pixiefish Thu 03-Feb-05 22:02:03

Think the service pack 2 is pretty good actually. Try adaware- it's freeware if you get it off the cnet site (just google adaware and cnet)

pixiefish Thu 03-Feb-05 22:03:48

god knows jan. Dh speaks to them regularly and they always get his goat- they charge really high fees but won't help if there's a fraud commited against dh- he lost £600 a few months ago- £140 yesterday- it really pees me off cos he works so bloody hard and then some git frauds him

Snugs Thu 03-Feb-05 22:07:12

Ooh - Kazaa - nasty nasty. I know 4 people who have had hijack problems and the only thing they seemed to have in common was using Kazaa.

One of them is in trouble for copyright stuff as well (but he does do a ridiculous amount of downloading).

Best to go legal and use Napster or something similar.

JanH Thu 03-Feb-05 22:23:24

Thank you, snugs - I have been saying use Napster for months. I just told DH what you said and he said OK, delete it then - result!

pixiefish, that's awful - it's impossible to know who's legit, there should be some support for people like your DH - what is he paying fees for???

I have got the link for the adaware free download now, thank you

Snugs Thu 03-Feb-05 22:27:55

You are welcome JanH. Napster have a free 7-day trial on at the moment as well

SenoraPostrophe Thu 03-Feb-05 22:31:31

Jan - Kazaa does have "spyware" with it, but it's the kind of spyware that puts ads all over your machine and makes it run slow: I doubt it was the cause of your paypal hijack. Try edonkey.

JanH Thu 03-Feb-05 22:41:07

SP, you warned me against kazaa ages ago, I know! (btw when I told DS1 I had uninstalled it he said "but ours is kazaa lite ++" as if that makes it harmless! Hello?)

Thanks for the donkey, DH will add that to his list of things to do tomorrow.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 03-Feb-05 22:43:41

i'll email you thr url in the morning if I remember.

sorry flossam - can I recommend www.royalmail.co.uk for checking postage prices?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now