Talk

Advanced search

Yellow vomit in dog, what may be causing it?

(19 Posts)
Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 09:10:16

She has had it for nearly 4 months, I have taken her to the vet twice, but both times they told me they didn't find anything unusual, but she keeps bringing up this liquid yellow vomit. I'm worried for her, normally she looks very tired during the day after she has had the problem... What does it mean, I have changed her food several times but the problem persists, and the vets (have tried two diferent ones) can't find anything. Any ideas?

munnzieb Thu 03-Feb-05 09:18:33

normally it's Bio (I think that's the term, the lining of their tummy) - lest that's what my vet says, she also say's it's nothing to worry about, normally I starve them both for that day (cos if one has it chance are the other will) and then the next day feed them chick/rice (human food steamed) in about 6/7 meals, v small amounts I do that for a couple of days, then slowly introduce their food back in, (althou mine only have it for a day at most, I do that everytime - 4 months is a bit long, did they take the temp and all of the dog?)

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Feb-05 09:21:41

Bile is from bile duct
IIRC

Did dog eat grass just beforehand because they do that to make themselves sick.

BTW I am not a vet

Titania Thu 03-Feb-05 09:23:58

Changing the food a lot can cause upset stomachs. What the dog is bringing up sounds like bile. If shes had it so long then she may have a sensitive stomach. Starve her for 24 hours, then give her a little bit of fresh chicken or fish and cooked rice for a day or two. Then start her on a gentle dog food that is chicken and rice based. How old is she BTW? Does she get diarrhoea with is as well?

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 09:24:19

I have thought of that, but she hasn't.

munnzieb Thu 03-Feb-05 09:27:07

bile., that's the one ty, I knew it was something like that (bio, bile it's all the same to me! it's yellow and smelly!)

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 09:27:46

She is a 5yrs old yorkie, no diarrea at all, thiugh she needs to go to the toilet many times during the day (has been tested for diabetes but she is fine). She was on Iams before but we change it to James Wellbeloved on recomendation of the doctor, I have left her try a full bag before switching to another JW product (it normally takes her between 1-1.5 months to finish a bag

munnzieb Thu 03-Feb-05 09:28:16

do u put water in her busicuts as well? our vet said to do that as they really swell up. so try that for a few days once she's better. Hope she's feelin OK soon thou.

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Feb-05 09:28:55

does she eat grass?

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 09:29:35

... so the food changes are not very often.

It looks very much like bile though.

munnzieb Thu 03-Feb-05 09:32:16

what's the cause of bile?

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 09:32:59

No grass.

Is there any other thing apart of water that I can add to her food, she normally takes all day long to eat it, and have seen that she preffers to starve herself rather than eating soggy food. (I should be the cause of her pickyness... DS is eaxactly the same )

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Feb-05 09:46:37

our lab would also get it if vomited but no food left in stomach and so just bile and stomach jucies was left so that was all that came back

I know nothing of yorkies

does it eat it back again?

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 09:58:09

No never, it's a very liquid vomit and it's almost impossible to remove from textiles (has ruined her bed and a couple of rugs )

Mothernature Thu 03-Feb-05 10:08:02

Dogs eating grass is completely normal. They are omnivores and in the wild they would graze naturally. The spring grass at this time of year is especially tasty to them so most dogs are grazing more at the moment. Your dog may eat grass more if there was a deficiency in it's diet or if it was feeling unwell in its gut, but lots of dogs just love to graze anyway, its totally natural.

PreggieMum Thu 03-Feb-05 10:17:49

How often is she vomitting and is it at the same time of day?

If it is at the same time of day, our border collie had something that sounds similar a while back. Vet advised sticking to one food, but changing the timing of meals and giving more frequent meals of a smaller quantity. (per vet some dogs get into a routine of being sick and by changing their meal times you can sometimes break this habit)

It worked!!

scotlou Thu 03-Feb-05 10:18:50

Chandra, my dog has had this regularly since he was a pup - and he's now 11! He's been to the Vet loads of times, had changes of food to various types (James Wellbeloved, Hills Sensitive Stomach) etc, I've fed him chicken & rice, boiled fish and potatoes - you name it - we've tried it - and it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference. It just seems to be the way he is - I put it down to overbreeding. He also has skin problems and now suffers from a joint condition.
I just try to keep him on a fairly restricted diet - no scraps or veg (they make him worse!) He's now on Hills Senior Light and that seems to suit him at present.

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 10:49:06

Yes Mothernature, I know that is natural and sometimes even encouragable but she has not been "grazing" lately.

Scotlou, thanks that makes me feel better, I was worried that something was terribly wrong with her but it seems from your post that she can have it and still be OK.

munnzieb Thu 03-Feb-05 12:28:44

chan - our dogs prefer the food when it's all soft etc.. (they don't seem to mind, otherwise dry buscuits can be left in their bowls for days!) if not, how about watery gravey/ a bit of milk/water?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now