Talk

Advanced search

Moving House in 3 weeks, help, what do I need to remember?

(15 Posts)
Sushipaws Wed 09-Jul-08 21:37:31

When I moved into my current flat, I only had enough stuff to fill my old Volvo.

Now I'm moving to a house and DH is only hiring a van so we have to move everything ourselves. I have a 15month dd who will be in nursery on moving day. My mum will have her the day after.

I have no idea whats important and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

WarmFuzzy Wed 09-Jul-08 21:55:11

Helpiammoving sounds just about right for you. Good luck with it.

Sushipaws Thu 10-Jul-08 14:01:06

thanks

Curlylox Thu 10-Jul-08 14:05:49

Have your post redirected for 3 months or more, that way it will give you enough time to do a change of address with your bank etc

lisasimpson Thu 10-Jul-08 14:09:29

not to forget and go back to your old house afterwards? grin

Tas1 Thu 10-Jul-08 17:19:34

Have a box with kettle, tea/coffee, sugar, milk, mugs, spoons, bickies put on the van last, so it is the first to come off, then you can have a cuppa.

Make the first job you do at the new place, bed making. That way at least you know you have a nice clean bed made up when you have had enough, all the other boxes can wait until tomorrow

When packing, make sure you mark the boxes with what is in them and what room you want them to go into.

Don't get stressed out thinking everything has to be unpacked and put away in one day, it does'nt.

Good luck grin

Sushipaws Thu 10-Jul-08 21:15:17

Thanks, thats fab about making up the bed, I'll definately do that

LOL at going back to my old flat by accident, many of my friends have done that when they were a bit tipsy.

Califrau Thu 10-Jul-08 21:17:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

uptomyeyes Thu 10-Jul-08 21:20:22

If you have a cat ask a friend to look after it for a couple of days in the run up and post move day. Otherwise you will spend hours looking for it on move day....I've been there - twice.

Califrau Thu 10-Jul-08 21:21:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:21:47

I had two boxes with all the toiletries etc. I marked the one with the stuff we were going to need right away 'A' and the other one with the stuff we could live without for a few days 'B'.

You can apply this tip to boxes of kitchen stuff too.

But best thing is to label well.

'Chopping boards, cutlery, pans' is better than 'Kitchen stuff'

I also numbered the boxes according to what room they were to go in and put the numbers on post-its on the doors of the rooms.

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:22:56

BTW I'm moving in about 3 weeks too but you wouldn't know it as I am in denial!

gemmiegoatlegs Thu 10-Jul-08 21:26:10

i am moving in a couple of weeks also so will be watching this thread with interest. Helpiammoving has a useful checklist of all the people you will need to inform

uptomyeyes Fri 11-Jul-08 13:17:19

The morning of your move get up out of bed. Roll up your sheets/pillows/duvet etc and put then into a packing box add your PJ's and toothbrushes and label X bedroom.

Same for children - including teddies etc.

As soon as you get to the new place get your bed (and the kids beds) assembled and made up. PJ's and teddie at the ready on the pillow.

The last thing you want to be doing at midnight on move day is putting the duvet cover on the duvet. smile

gemmiegoatlegs Fri 11-Jul-08 22:17:09

if you register with www.iammoving.com theycan inform many of your contacts of your imminent move. Also try www.moveme.com for a calendar of events and template letters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now