Talk

Advanced search

Ok so I've taken the plunge and applied for nurse training- Any nurses out there.advice needed?

(14 Posts)
chocolatemummy Wed 09-Jul-08 11:34:19

anyone out there any kind of nurse as I am not totally sure which branch of nursing to go for and could do with some advice

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 09-Jul-08 11:35:42

if you're not sure then Adult would probably be the route to go - then it is usually an extra 18 months on top if you want to do midwifery or mental health.
good luck with it.

chocolatemummy Wed 09-Jul-08 11:44:42

I am trying to decide between mental health or children's.
Thought if did mental health could go down the CAMHS route?

tiredemma Wed 09-Jul-08 11:54:18

You can do CAMHS from both childrens and MH nursing.

(Im training to be a MH nurse btw and have an interest (at the mo!) in CAMHS)

EdieMcredie Wed 09-Jul-08 11:54:38

Im a mental health nurse.

Tis great fun.

Stressful at times but that applies to all branches!

chocolatemummy Wed 09-Jul-08 12:02:09

hmm, yes this is good, I am more towards Mental health,
training + young child+working part time?
how is it?

tiredemma Wed 09-Jul-08 12:12:19

Im not going to lie and say its easy because it isnt.
I work part time over the weekend (18hrs) and have two children age 7 and 5, Im fortunate enough to have a wonderfully supportive partner and have so far on placement had fantastic mentors who know how hard it is to be a parent and study.

Have you applied for a degree or diploma?

chocolatemummy Wed 09-Jul-08 12:43:01

thats very encourageing, I have a job at the moment that I can do part time (bank) around the course, My husband is very supportive and after a bad couple of years with us both being made redundant and me especially getting totally disillusioned with it all, he has a nice secure job and my dd is starting school sep so i feel I can breathe and get on with something I HOPE I get on now.
what kind of financial support do you get
eg.1 child at school with approx £150-200 per month childcare costs
Spouses income £18,000

tiredemma Wed 09-Jul-08 14:32:10

Im doing a degree so get bugger all.

you can get a non means tested bursary (approx 6k i think) if you do the diploma.

plus3 Wed 09-Jul-08 14:50:34

hello I did a BN(child) and have never regreted not doing the adult branch as I was sure about being a children's nurse. If you have any doubts about your speciality you should probably stick to the adult branch as it makes it easier to work abroad. You can still move into the other branches, but would have to convert to RN(child) or (MH) in order to progress up the bands.

I work in paediatric intensive care as a Band 7 part-time as I know have 2 DC. It has honestly been the most rewarding career choice, and the flexiabilty with my work'home balance is wonderful. Would like to be paid more but so wouldn't everyone grin

Good luck

CJMommy Thu 10-Jul-08 14:15:14

I'm a children's nurse. Originally started on adult Branch but then swapped over. Love my job! Well done and good luck in whatever you choose.

chocolatemummy Fri 11-Jul-08 20:07:16

I have been given a place on the Mental Health nursing course so thats that.
I am really excited for the first time in years, I cannot wait,
They too said that the first year we are all together and if at the end of the first year I want to change to childrens or sdult then that isnt usually a problem,
I dont want to do adult nursing, I am quite happy with mental health and have done a psychology degree years ago which I really enjoyed

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 20:12:03

Ahh. They tell you that then a few months down the line they tell you that you can only swap if there's space on the course you want to change to (ie, someone has to leave/change).

I'm a third year paeds student, it's tough and exhausting. It can be very hard to do assignments and work on the wards aswell. with children it's very hard juggling it all. I wish you well though. Good luck smile

deanychip Fri 11-Jul-08 20:21:20

i am an adult nurse, which i have had my fill of to be honest.
Ive side stepped into training but have to do several "shop floor" shifts as well.
The students that we get where i work are very positive, very motivated and a joy to work with and teach.
You are entering into a lovely phase and i am sure that you will enjoy it immensly. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now