Talk

Advanced search

Calling Scottish mumsnetters (again)

(10 Posts)
sweetkitty Wed 02-Feb-05 14:21:17

hi

Having had an offer on our flat (yippee) we need to find somewhere to live in Scotland. It looks like DP will be working in Edinburgh so we need somewhere with the following:
- reasonable commute to Edinburgh each day (less than an hour one way preferably)
- reasonable commute to Glasgow (say and hour and a half) I may be going to college there but only for a year so not as important
- would prefer to stay West of Edinburgh as family are from Ayrshire
- want a 3 bed house for about 130K so rules cities out
- DD only 6 months so not too fussed about schools at present can see us staying there for about 3 years
- not too fussed about area but would like some decent shops not too far away

thanks thanks thanks for your help again

Wallace Wed 02-Feb-05 21:28:10

Sorry would like to help but we live too far away - 2 hours from Edinburgh if you drive really fast

Good luck in your search

Aimsmum Wed 02-Feb-05 21:37:13

Message withdrawn

mummygow Wed 02-Feb-05 21:39:43

sorry sweetkitty I am in Glasgow too but good luck!!

kikidee Wed 02-Feb-05 21:42:36

Hi sweetkitty. My boss lives in Dunblane and works in Glasgow but does the occassional day in Edinburgh. She reckons its the same travel time to Glasgow and Edinburgh , probably about an hour. Not sure about property prices though.

Littlemermaid Thu 03-Feb-05 10:53:38

Hi

I'm from Central Scotland and there are lots of towns that are sort of half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I live in Linlithgow which is a small town pretty and with supermarkets, some decent shops etc and a train station. 20 mins to Edinburgh and 40 to Glasgow on the train. Other towns you could consider Bo'ness, Falkirk, Queensferry, Stirling and Dunblane as was already suggested. Hope this helps give you a starting point !

PinkWebby Thu 03-Feb-05 11:11:08

I lived in Dumbarton which is quite west, but Stirling is lovely and easy to reach for Glasgow and Scotland, there is some good shops there as well.

tabitha Thu 03-Feb-05 11:39:19

I would suggest thinking about places like Linlithgow, Falkirk area,Livingston, Bathgate, West Calder. You should get a reasonable 3 bed house in any of these areas for 130K. Look at this site for details but remember that many of the prices shown will be 'offers over' a certain ammount and in many cases the actual price paid will be many thousands (or even tens of thousands) of pounds over the asking price.
Stirling is nice but if your dh is travelling into the centre of Edinburgh in the rush hour,he'd be hard pressed to get in in less than an hour.

sweetkitty Thu 03-Feb-05 12:28:02

thanks for all your advice

let the hosuehunting begin

TwoIfBySea Thu 03-Feb-05 21:12:10

It would be doubtful you would get a good 3-bed in Linlithgow for £130k. Believe me, we are looking there at the moment as ds twins are at the local primary nursery class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now