Talk

Advanced search

Sainsbury's Online Shopper .. be careful

(25 Posts)
Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 17:35:32

I got a delivery today, I checked the use by dates (for a change actually) and the joint of beef I'd received was 'use by TODAY'

so I phoned up to complain .. the bloke couldn't have been nicer, immediately offering to refund the price to me .. fair enough thinks I .. free meat thinks I

so I checked the receipt .. I had been charged £5.33 for a joint of beef that had a price on the packet of £4.46 ... so just thought I'd warn you

bloke on phone was very very surprised too and said he'd flag it immediately

hoxtonchick Tue 01-Feb-05 17:37:05

i shopped online with sainsbury's a few weeks ago, didn't buy anything out of the ordinary & it came to £120 rather than the normal £70-80 i spend. really couldn't work out why. maybe i've just got the answer . haven't repeated the experience.

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 17:39:38

I remember a while back on the news about Sainsbury have out of date stuff still on the shelves!!!

Socci Tue 01-Feb-05 17:56:21

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 18:01:02

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4089785.stm

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=newsukfs&tab=news&q=sainsbury+out+of+date&go.x=0&go.y=0&go=go

irishbird Tue 01-Feb-05 18:03:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 18:04:41

Have to say I've been using Tesco since last October, once a week, and have had no problems - only 5 items not available, and the VERY few substituions have all been ok. The shopping has been no higher than I expected, infact usually lower and the dates are always well in advance - must be a good store near me

irishbird Tue 01-Feb-05 18:06:31

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 18:07:39

Don't know about 'very' lucky - I know lots of people who shop online and don't have problems.

Of course that DOESN'T mean that those that do have problems don't have the right to complain - and if I were to recieve a substandard order I wouldn't mess around telling them!

irishbird Tue 01-Feb-05 18:10:52

IlanaK Tue 01-Feb-05 19:03:44

We had endless problems with tesco in two different areas of the country that we lived in. Switched to Sainsbury's who were no better. We now use Ocado. They are not perfect, but seem much much better. Their produce ertainly seems better as because their stuff comes from a central distribution place, and not shops, they don't seem to offload the rubish. They also rarely have to substitute.

Chickyboo Tue 01-Feb-05 19:11:37

I use Ocado.com and they are brilliant if anything is substituted they offer it free, also if any other probs they'll offer money off. great service

SoupDragon Tue 01-Feb-05 19:17:57

Tescos have sent me stuff that it out of date before. The man on the phone was horrified.

Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 19:20:19

Ocado don't seem to know the difference between Lamb chump steaks and Lamb leg steaks though

have had 3 deliveries of leg steaks when I've asked for chump steaks .. and they have apologised and refunded each time

keep ordering them though cos leg steaks are actually quite nice .. especially when they're free

HunkerMunker Tue 01-Feb-05 19:21:35

Snurk, Twigs

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 01-Feb-05 19:24:06

ASDA weren't found guilty of anything. It was only Sainsburys and Tescos. They were accused of charging higher prices than in store and of old out of date food.

ASDA and Ocado both came out well from the investigations.

I use ASDA. They are very good. The substitutes are well labelled and the driver tells you which bags they are (in case you don't notice). The prices are good and the sell by dates are far in advance. The website is also easy to use.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 01-Feb-05 19:25:20

Also, at Christmas I ordered a pack of 12 batteries. It was substituted for a pack of 24 but I was only charged for 12. Result!

MistressMary Tue 01-Feb-05 19:52:06

I have actually decided not to shop in Sainsburys anymore.
One Their stock is poor in our particular shop.
Two Seen manky tomatoes etc on shelves
Three Stuff I have bought goes off very quickly.
Four Expensive
Five They sometimes forget to account for the buy one get one free.

so I trundle to Tesco now.

nutcracker Tue 01-Feb-05 20:11:48

I have used Asda and Tesco recently, and both were ok. Had a couple of substitutions with each but both were a higher quilaty item. My tescos delivery was actually early too.

Sell by dates were ok too i think. Only prob was the bread, it was in date but not very fresh at all.

BethAndHerBrood Tue 01-Feb-05 20:14:26

I use Asda, twice a month. I tick the "no substitutions" box, and never have any problems. I have used Tesco before, but felt i was getting "fobbed off" with the manky fruit and veg.

sinclair Wed 02-Feb-05 10:54:48

We have been shopping online since Tesco started trialling it in W6 in 97. Can honestly say that I do not miss the shopping trolley one bit, despite the odd mishap. My rules are 1) I always shop around for the best delivery offer - Asda used to be free if you spent enough, Sainsbury currently has an offer of free delivery if you spend 70 I think Tu-W-Th. 2) I don't buy anything perishable - prefer to spend the time saved going to local butcher/greengrocer (am lucky to have them I know) plus I've had too many shrivelled cucumbers in my time and 3) always ring and complain when it's not exactly what you ordered - I once got the entire order refunded by tesco when 30 minutes late (£120!!)

handlemecarefully Wed 02-Feb-05 11:37:37

If you check your Sainsbury's substitution list they do have a section entitled 'Food with short notice use by dates' (or something like that) - which alerts you to the fact that something needs to be consumed immediately and enables you to reject the food. Only makes it marginally less annoying though.

I had a dozen eggs delivered by Sainsbury last week with 3 of them broken. I was pissed off but didn't have the time to chase it up.

I've also had bags of shopping missing that I have been charged for (they have forgotten to load it on the lorry)

galaxy Wed 02-Feb-05 11:42:43

I've stopped shopping in Sainsburys as the shelves are always badly sticked, fruit and veg is manky and the're food quality has gone downhill. Now buy most stuff online with Ocado and so far only had 1 problem with a bag being left off the van. The driver knew about it and when I rang customer service, they sent me a £5 voucher. Annoying but better service than had from Tesco or Sainsbury online service.

Last year at Christmas, ordered a Turkey crown from Sainsburys online for 18 and they sent a Bernard Matthews boned turkey to serve 6. (On Christmas Eve). Local store manager sent a member of staff around the local stores to find us a replacement and we got flowers and champagne for their cock up too.

kama Fri 04-Feb-05 20:32:02

Message withdrawn

kama Fri 04-Feb-05 20:38:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now