Talk

Advanced search

Have you found anything to protect a Sky Card from a baby?

(30 Posts)
Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 15:49:27

DS used to do this and I thought they'd have invented something by now

DD keeps crawling over to sky box, pulling out the sky digital card and chomping on it .. this must happen to lots and lots of people, does anyone have anything that protects the card from babba chomping?

Yorkiegirl Tue 01-Feb-05 15:50:17

Message withdrawn

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 01-Feb-05 15:51:16

I used strong parcel tape, taped right round the skybox and over the card. Bit drastic, but it worked (the tape did come off easily and I just cleaned the sticky marks off).

CountessDracula Tue 01-Feb-05 15:54:35

Put the sky box out of reach?

Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 15:55:43

won't fit on top of the tv and there's nowhere else really

would like to avoid parcel tape .. but will use as a last resort

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 15:55:56

yes - a couple of pieces of parcel (or other strong) tape to 'hold' it in place. We have to have a 'barricade' over ALL of our TV, DVD, Sky boxes as DS2 (14 months) messes with ALL of the buttoms.

The tape trick worked for my eldest and for a friends 2 DS's

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 15:56:35

oops - sorry just seen you don't want to use parcel tape - someone came to the door midtyping

zubb Tue 01-Feb-05 15:57:21

I used to put a cushion in front of the sky box / video with ds1 and it seemed to deter him. With ds2 he would just grab the cushion away so I left him to it, and have ended up with card upside down, in wrong place, chewed etc

Prufrock Tue 01-Feb-05 17:18:55

No - but reading with interest. DD gets to watch Beebies whilst I do tea at 5pm, and ds crawls round the living room. Every night I hear "Mummmeeeeee, <<ds>> broken Beebies again"

mummytummy Tue 01-Feb-05 17:25:29

We're having that problem at the moment. We've used sellotape over the top of it, but she does have a go at peeling it off - maybe gaffer tape?

Casmie Tue 01-Feb-05 17:45:48

Our solution isn't very original but we have our video/dvd/skybox in a glass fronted case (and we've removed the handle - ds1, dh and I can get it open by using our pinkie fingers - ds2 can't - this method worked well with ds1 for a couple of years!) - remote controls still work through it, babies can't grab the card or post things in slots

Does collect sticky finger prints though...

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 01-Feb-05 18:56:19

Get a Sky+ box ! They have a little flappy door that covers the card slot.

melsy Tue 01-Feb-05 19:16:38

Our solution was to cut off that bit that sticks out !!Hasnt been a problem and to be honest you only need the chip bit anywhoo !!!If you need to remove it we use tweezers !!

Loobie Tue 01-Feb-05 19:32:04

I have friends who work for sky and their digiboxes at their workstations have the sticky out bit cut off so the cards can only be removed with tweezers or such like to stop the staff nicking the cards and taking them home.

lowcalCOD Tue 01-Feb-05 19:46:01

there is a video guard sold that may do

lowcalCOD Tue 01-Feb-05 19:47:43

ahem

lowcalCOD Tue 01-Feb-05 19:51:10

Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 20:00:35

you're fab

but

they're OUT OF STOCK ...a rrrrrrghghhhhhhh

Frizbe Tue 01-Feb-05 20:01:03

we told dd she'd broken the tv when she pulled the card out, she looked shocked and burst into tears, and hasn't really done it since (but I guess we were just lucky right!)

Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 20:01:43

DD is only 8 months old .. don't think it'd work

Frizbe Tue 01-Feb-05 20:12:47

hey you never know, give it a go, you'd be surprised what they understand, particularly if its somthing like fimbles that goes phut

jellyhead Tue 01-Feb-05 20:17:05

Our box has ducktape arond the card bit. Works quite well but noticed ds2 [8 months] crawls over regularly to dribble on it and make it loose so he can again chomp on the card he loves so much.

Mirage Tue 01-Feb-05 20:30:47

I'm glad dd isn't the only one who does this!

munnzieb Tue 01-Feb-05 20:39:09

ah, now see I had a similar prob with my dogs pullin the card out and chewing it when they were pups - one had to be replaced, the other was salvageable, the v nice man at sky told me to cut the end off, (so u need a pair or tweezers to get it out) and put it back in, low and behold, I've not had any probs since! (might work with children u never know and looks slightly nicer that tape everywhere!)

tillykins Tue 01-Feb-05 20:48:02

I frequently put the tv on to see "insert sky viewing card" and then end up crawling round the room saying "tell mummy where the card is sweetheart" thru clenched teeth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now