Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Missed pill (b*gger!) do I need morning after pill? Quick advice needed!

(11 Posts)
marthamoo Tue 01-Feb-05 06:32:58

Deed was done last night, just got up and found I forgot to take my pill yesterday. Pill no.13 (uh-oh) of packet. Last time I missed one mid pack I went to Boots and the pharmacist said I needed the MAP, but I'm sure I've read since on MN that it's the start and end of the pack that are the dangerous times.
Advice please? Isn't hmb the pill expert? It's the combined pill btw.

happymerryberries Tue 01-Feb-05 06:35:58

OK, not so sue abiout the 'expert' bit, but whatever!

any pill missed can let you ovulate. I would definatly see the gp/ pahtrmacist and get the map if geting pg would be a disaster.

As a point of fact the 'worst' ones to miss are those at the start and end of the pack, since they increase the pill free period and an egg can 'slip out'. But if you are very fertile, any pill will do.

HTH

marthamoo Tue 01-Feb-05 06:47:43

Oh poo. Getting pg would be a disaster - guess it's a trip to Boots...again. Wonder if RTKangaMummy can remind me to take my pill as well as tell me when my favourite TV programmes are on? Thanks hmb.

happymerryberries Tue 01-Feb-05 06:52:02

Could MN set this up as a paid service

MN number 7635476534726 It is time to take your pill now!

marthamoo Tue 01-Feb-05 06:54:54

I think there's scope for a new "Taken Your Pill?" topic

aloha Tue 01-Feb-05 08:38:47

This is the (very cautious) advice from the bible of hormonal contraception, The PIll, by John Guillibrand (I think!).

If you are less than 12 hours late taking a pill: don't worry. Just take the delayed pill at once, and further pills as usual.
* If you are more than 12 hours late in taking one pill or more:
(a) Take the last missed pill straight away but leave the other missed pills in the pack. Take further pills as usual. And (b) use extra precautions (eg condoms used perfectly) for the next 7 days. (c) If there are 7 or more pills left in your pack after the missed or delayed pills: when you have finished the pack, leave the usual 7-day break before starting the next pack. (d) If there are less than 7 pills left in the pack after the missed or delayed pills: when you have finished the pack, start the next pack the next day without a break.
* If you have missed two or more pills AND they were all from the first seven in your pack AND if you have had unprotected sexual intercourse since the end of your last pack: go to seek advice promptly from your doctor because you might need emergency contraception IN ADDITION to the advice given above.

happymerryberries Tue 01-Feb-05 08:44:33

Guillibaud I think. the contraceptive man in the UK

aloha Tue 01-Feb-05 08:46:00

That's the man!

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 08:48:33

lol - so why doesn't HE take responsibility for it and use condoms then

happymerryberries Tue 01-Feb-05 08:51:42

As a matter of fact he is very pro barrier contraception for men and women! Not only did he write the book on the pill, he also wrote the book on contraception as a whole. He is keen to have an many contracetive options as possible. He also writes well on natural methods of contracetion. When I worked in the industry these were the most frequently used reference books that we used. Director of family planning (i think) at one time (may still be)

marthamoo Tue 01-Feb-05 10:56:56

I went to the Family Planning Clinic rather than Boots (Boots was pretty bad last time - eg., I asked the girl on the counter for Levonelle so I didn't have to broadcast to all and sundry what it was I wanted and she didn't know what it was! So I ended up saying "it's the morning after pill" anyway) Anyway, FPC nurse took an incredibly long, incredibly detailed history and checked my BP while ds2 fiddled with the paper roll dispenser on the examining couch, found several paper clips on the floor, jumped repeatedly off the step you use to get on to the couch, pushed the trolley round, pulled a few latex gloves out of a box, pushed the lever on the nurse's chair so she whooshed downwards, crawled under her desk and pointed out the lump of chewing gum stuck under it ()...you get the picture.

She then went off to get the morning after pill and came back and said she'd checked with the doctor and I didn't need it! Because I've already had 7 days of pill from this packet the risk of pregnancy is negligible (which is what hmb said, and I knew myself really). She did say I could still have it if I wanted but I'm not really too worried. She gave me some condoms though, for the next seven days (was too embarrassed to say I doubt I'll need them as once a week is about our limit these days!)

So that was fun.....

Oh and btw...the FPC is a great place to go if you fancy a bit of Vicky Pollard wannabe spotting. "Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no, right but..." I felt bl**dy ancient! Could tell all this kids in school uniforms were thinking "OMG...I'm not having sex when I'm as old as her..."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now