Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's children do karate?

(27 Posts)
Aero Mon 31-Jan-05 22:22:37

If so, do they enjoy it and is it worth the money?
Ds1 went to a free taster lesson tonight and really enjoyed it, which I suspected he would, but it seems to be quite costly as on top of the lesson(£4.50), there is £25 insurance to pay annually(to be paid by the fourth lesson), the outfit to buy (around £20) and grading which I assume is some kind of progress test for belts every 3-4 months (£15 each time) and the belt (£5). Seems rather a lot, but I do think this is the sort of thing ds1 would enjoy and it would probably boost his confidence. Any comments/feedback positive or negative would be gratefully received.

acer Mon 31-Jan-05 22:28:01

my ds is nearly 7 and has been doing karate for about a year, he is quite lazy but loves it! We pay £3 eack lesson, he has a little red book (his licence) and we pay around £15 when he gets his next belt, it really boosted his confidence, we did push a little at first, but now if we tell him he cannot go because of another commitment, he gets really upset. He did his 1st competition just 3 months into it and got a trophry for 1st place! Try it, stick with it for a few weeks, it won't take long to realise if it is right for him or not.

Aero Mon 31-Jan-05 22:34:09

Thanks acer - that's what I was thinking - I imagine it's quite tough, but he enjoys a challenge and I think he would enjoy the discipline and structure of the class. I think also it must be good for concentration skills. It seems like these charges are pretty much run of the mill. It says he needs to be a member of the English Karate Governing Body within four weeks for insurance purposes - does that sound reasonable?

acer Mon 31-Jan-05 22:37:51

Yes, thats when he will get his licence, so he will get to go to 3 or 4 lessons before you fork out too much money, give it a try, my ds lacked confidence before he started, I have seen a big change with his concentration, and the tantrums seemed to have disappeared too!

Aero Mon 31-Jan-05 22:45:31

Yes - ds is facing a little bullying from a neighbours child atm - yesterday to be exact - while he was at their house and he didn't feel he could just leave and come home (few doors away). I think this would just boost his confidence a bit.

acer Mon 31-Jan-05 22:49:33

My ds was bullied when in reception at school, he didn't tell anyone for along time, now if there is a problem he will say, he does use his karate to block others (it is a non contact sport, all about control). Definate confidence booster.

Aero Mon 31-Jan-05 22:58:48

Oh yes - I meant it would help for him to learn a little assertiveness so he can speak up in certain situations(rather than using any physical contact - he'd never do that anyway, though I might feel like it) and just say he wants to go home. We've said to him that if he has any worries like that to just come and tell us straightaway. It really upset me to see him so visibly emotionally hurt yesterday - this child also kicked him in the stomach - not sure whether or not he meant to really hurt him, but it did.

acer Mon 31-Jan-05 23:01:43

Not nice karate will teach him how to block a child from punching in the face, stomach ect., great self-defence! Kicking and punching in the stomach can cause serious damage, how old is your ds?

Aero Mon 31-Jan-05 23:30:56

He'll be 7 in March.

acer Mon 31-Jan-05 23:31:47

same age as my ds, let me know how he gets on.

Aero Mon 31-Jan-05 23:37:30

Will do. Will report in next week - thanks for advice etc.

doggiewalker Sun 06-Feb-05 21:03:40

Aero - my ds2 started doing karate about 18 months ago as he is not particularly sporty and doesn't like team games such as football, so we were looking for something to get hime away from the ps2. He really enjoys it, it seems to be very good for him. He's quite a slightly built boy so I think it will be good for his self-esteem too.

You're right about it being pricey though. We were lucky and got a suit 2nd hand although he's almost outgrown it. The grading seems to come round too often now, and the cost of lessons has just gone up to £3.50.

Frizbe Sun 06-Feb-05 21:13:29

Wow what a great thread! my dd is too young to do any martial arts, but she will when she's old enough (ss is thinking about taking one up at the mo, but that's upto his mum and stepdad to sort out) I myself do Aikido and would recommend it to anyone for the fitness, discipline and confidence it assists with producing. The club I go to has two age groups for younger children, they start them from 4, with a specially adapted form of aikido (as its got a lot of throws that aren't so good for the youngsters!) and it seems the costs are similar, although the Gi (outfit) comes free, and gradings are in with the cost, but £15 seems to be the norm for those.
aikido link
If anyone is interested!

Aero Sun 06-Feb-05 21:38:18

Well ds1's bedroom was in such a state tonight that I threatened to not let him go to karate tomorrow - he was suitably ashamed of himself and motivated enough to get onto it - with a little help from me it's sparkling now and karate is on - much to his relief! Tbh, I'm looking forward to taking him as dh went last week and parents only get to stay for the first few lesons to watch, so will post tomorrow night and let you all know he he fares.

alux Sun 06-Feb-05 21:47:52

I started karate lessons (at 30+) at the same time as a 4 yr old cutie. I have watched her blossom in the meantime and she brings a smile to my face everytime. Karate is excellent for instilling concentration, discipline, patience, and hard work. I wish I had the authority of a sensei as a school teacher!

At 7 they are expected to perform and follow all instructions but the training (and expectation) is tempered to a child's natural physical development when they are but through their paces.

Yes, a yearly license fee (and insurance, mind you) is standard. I live in the NE where everything else seems to cost a little less so your quotes do not surprise me.

At my dojo I also train (not now that I am pg) with a 13 yr old boy at the same school I teach. Only he is now a 3rd Dan. (has 3 black belts he was the youngest 2nd Dan in the UK at 9yrs old)
It is a role swap when he puts me through my paces. At school we pretend we don't know each other.

If your child is a kenaesthitic learner, this is where you will find out.

Frizbe Sun 06-Feb-05 21:56:40

re role swap, so I'm not the only one on here who likes a spot of martial arts!

open Sun 06-Feb-05 21:57:45

Is karate a good sport for tall children?

Frizbe Sun 06-Feb-05 22:13:31

I have trained with several sensi who are in the 6'4" bracket, who have done Karate in the past, so I would say yes, its fine, size and shape do not matter with martial arts, its all in the application!

open Sun 06-Feb-05 22:16:22

Thanks. Is there a website to find a local, reputable karate teacher?

Frizbe Sun 06-Feb-05 22:32:53

you could try karate link or you could give the guys at my link below a ring, as they know quite a lot of people and will happily put you in touch with someone in your area.

alux Sun 06-Feb-05 23:08:29

Karate (and all martial arts) is good for any shape and size of person. As well being physical, it is also very mental.

It is easy to overstress the self-defense side of the martial arts but it also teaches children how to carry themselves in an assertive way, use assertive body language and speak assertively but calmly and respectfully to anyone.

Bullies can smell a child with insecurities long before they get physically or verbally nasty. The right body language sends out a message they won't challenge.

open Sun 06-Feb-05 23:14:23

Thanks for the link - no clubs in my area. I'll have to ring the other one.

Are there different styles of karate? If so, which is the 'best' one?

LouBeeLou Mon 07-Feb-05 12:42:22

Hi Aero

DD (7yo) has been doing karate for a few months now and really enjoys it.

FYI - I found a karate suit in JJB Sports for £11.

It's really boosted DD's confidence, and I think it teaches the kids respect as it's very disciplined. It's great to get her into something that's physical too, better than playstations, etc.

Lonelymum Mon 07-Feb-05 12:45:47

My tow boys used to do it for about a year. We found it quite an expensive hobby too (lessons, insurance, membership of association, grading tests, new belts, etc. Gave it up in the end though because the instructor expected them to go two or three times a week as they went higher up the grades, and, frankly, we had other things to do and didn't want to devote so much time to it.

Aero Mon 07-Feb-05 13:48:22

Thanks for that info LBL - he's really looking forward to it tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now