Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Idle question - did they really booby trap treasure like in The Temple of Doom?

(8 Posts)
weightwatchingwaterwitch Sun 30-Jan-05 20:03:15

You know, in the Indiana Jones films where there are beetles waiting to get people and a room where the ceiling lowers and stuff like that? Did people hiding treasure really booby trap it like this or is it all a myth created by Hollywood? And while I'm at it, is there treasure in the world that hasn't been discovered? Anything with clues that no-one has been able to decipher?

We watched a treasure hunt movie this afternoon with Nicholas Cage, it was a good family film about the hunt for some treasure and I just wondered. I won't be at all surprised if no-one answers this at all though!

Satine Sun 30-Jan-05 20:10:14

I hope so - what a great job that would be, hunting for it. I know there are people who look for ancient shipwrecks to try to find dubloons, or whatever those pirate coins are called!!

SenoraPostrophe Sun 30-Jan-05 20:11:30

Well there is the "curse" of Tutankhamun - Lord Varnarvon dies just after discovering it due to (possibly) some kind of poison fungus. There is a theory that the fungus was deliberately placed there as a booby trap.

Just tried to find a link for you on a site that looks authoritative but can't find one. I'll have another look.

tillykins Sun 30-Jan-05 20:14:08

I thought a lot of the ancient Egyptian tombs were booby trapped???

SenoraPostrophe Sun 30-Jan-05 20:19:12

That would be Lord Carnarvon.

Here's an article about it

Some scientist (I think - it is a .gov site) with too much time on his hands followed up all of the 24 people present when the tomb was opened. He doesn't say anything about fungus. I wonder where I got that from?

They obviously should have booby trapped treasure anyway.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 30-Jan-05 20:30:48

OTOH perhaps I'm the one with too much time on my hands! (huge pile of odd-jobs waiting - can you tell?)

romantick Sun 30-Jan-05 20:41:33

when i found the arc.i discovered many traps .snakes were a nightmare but also in egypt they often used crocodiles .not many people knew about the missing crocodiles .but they are being discovered now.due to interntional pressure from many religious groups i had to rehide the arc in a new place.when you are in the sahara it is easy to make something dissapear.
but at least i still have the gps co-ordinates of where it is.
rooms of scorpians is another good trap that is used.very deadly.
still there are so many quests out there.
if you ever fancy going on my next expedition it is to find the remains of .............
tune into find out what

weightwatchingwaterwitch Sun 30-Jan-05 20:47:59

Thanks Senora! Now GO AND DO YOUR CHORES! I may research this a bit, I find it interesting. Maybe next time I have work to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now