Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone reccomend some reading books for my 7 year old bookworm

(19 Posts)
nutcracker Sun 30-Jan-05 19:47:57

My Dd is a bookworm but has now outgrown all the book she has.

She is 7 going on 17 but i want books appropriate for her age, but fun too. She likes anything to do with ballet, dance princesses etc etc.

She is a very good reader, at the correct level for her age if not a bit higher, but i'm just not sure what to get.

Yorkiegirl Sun 30-Jan-05 20:09:09

Message withdrawn

jane313 Sun 30-Jan-05 20:12:04

I'm not too sure about reading ages, but I loved A Neckalace of Raindrops by Joan Aitken. How about Noel Stretfield, probably very old fashioned but lots of girly stuff like Balet Shoes and White boots. I remember loving a collection called A book of Princesses. They collected all the fairy tales about them

albosmum Sun 30-Jan-05 20:24:34

try the old classic enid blytons - secret seven - they get alot of criticism but i think most kids love them plus my boy loved the narnia books again they get alot of criticism

tamum Sun 30-Jan-05 20:26:47

My dd and I have just been reading books by Gwyneth Rees that would be about the right reading age. Mermaid Magic is very absorbing (even I wanted to know what happened!) and it's nowhere near as trashy as it looks. It deals with issues like ethnic differences and adoption without being obvious, and it's written by a child psychiatrist.

I'd also second Ballet Shoes

paolosgirl Sun 30-Jan-05 20:34:28

I loved the Little House on the Prairie books from about that age...and the fact that they are based on the author's life made them even better. I enjoyed the Heidi books as well, and Mallory Towers (about the boarding school), and I would echo the Secret Seven and Ballet Shoes. Pure escapism, and why not - she's only 7!

KBear Sun 30-Jan-05 20:45:13

I'm reading Pippi Longstocking to my DD who is almost 6 - the book is a bit beyond her reading skills but she is really enjoying it.

nutcracker Mon 31-Jan-05 12:43:58

Oooh loads of good ones there, thanks.

How could i forget Mallory towers, and the secret seven. I had the Mallory towerts books on tape and i loved them.

Will write all these down and have a look in the book shops and library, thanks.

vict17 Mon 31-Jan-05 12:56:02

Has she read all the Jacquline Wilson books? Harry Potter?

nutcracker Mon 31-Jan-05 12:59:53

She has read one Jaquline Wilson one i think.

Shes not keen on Harry Potter, the first film scared her to death so i think that put her off even reading the books.

Barbaloot Mon 31-Jan-05 18:15:43

try books by Anne Fine, Animal Ark often goes down well with girls that age and don't forget non fiction.

jane313 Mon 31-Jan-05 18:35:49

Betsy Byers is good, though maybe a bit older more 9-11

albosmum Mon 31-Jan-05 20:31:26

don't forget st CLares always thought it was better than mallory towers

vict17 Mon 31-Jan-05 20:39:36

definitely try the rest of the Jacqueline Wilson's - they're all brilliant!! Others to try her with are The Enchanted Horse by Madeline Nabb, The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy, My Majeika by Humphfrey Carpenter and Bill's New Frock by Anne Fine. Also ask the librarian at the library - they will direct you to the right place.

Merlot Mon 31-Jan-05 20:45:03

My ds (7) is working his was through the Unfortunate Series of Events Books - Lemony Snicket

JanH Mon 31-Jan-05 20:50:06

DD1 loved Narnia at 7, and Noel Streatfeild. Can't remember what else!

Fimbo Mon 31-Jan-05 20:53:43

My dd is 6.5 and loves all the Daisy Meadows books about fairies. Has she read them?

Fimbo Mon 31-Jan-05 20:55:20

Also got her Milly-Molly-Mandy from Waterstone's as it brought back fond memories from my childhood!! Although a lot of the stories and what happens in them wouldn't be considered quite "pc" these days!!

Posey Mon 31-Jan-05 21:14:33

Have a look at "The Ultimate Book Guide".
It lists books suitable for 8-12 year olds, cross-referencing them and giving outline of book and author.
A really good feature is the bit that says "if you liked this book, then try..." and "if you need something similar but a bit more challenging, try..."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now