Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts?

(33 Posts)
WestCountryLass Fri 28-Jan-05 22:01:03

If you found out a friend was leaving his youngest DS at home (18 months) in his cot asleep whilst he collected hs eldest DS from pre-school (3 years) what would your reaction be? Would it matter how long the child was left for?

SPARKLER1 Fri 28-Jan-05 22:02:33

I'd be shocked and very cross. You can't do that!!!

Beetroot Fri 28-Jan-05 22:03:11

Message withdrawn

SPARKLER1 Fri 28-Jan-05 22:03:46

NOT THAT IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE BUT - how far from home is the preschool?

oooggs Fri 28-Jan-05 22:03:46

I will walk to the bottom of the back garden to put the car in the garage and to the front gate to put the rubbish out and I can of course see the house. But I would NEVER go any further especially if the house was out of sight no matter how long.

In this day and age people don't even need to run to a phone box.

What happened if there was a fire?

sallystrawberry Fri 28-Jan-05 22:04:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stupidgirl Fri 28-Jan-05 22:04:17

It's illegal and incredibly dangerous

essbee Fri 28-Jan-05 22:05:45

Message withdrawn

open Fri 28-Jan-05 22:08:39

I wouldn't, but can see the temptation.

Gwenick Fri 28-Jan-05 22:08:48

Ahh but sparkler it COULD make a difference how close the house is to the pre school.

I imagine come September I MAY drop DS1 off at school while leaving DS1 along in the house occasionaly...........but then I do live RIGHT Next to the school (my garden wall is also the school wall on two sides!). And the school gate is closer to my front door than my washing line is from the back door!!!

However, my situation is very 'unique' as not many people live that close to their schools - as a majority rule I would say definitely not - I'd never go out of sight of my house while either of my kids where in there.

PicadillyCircus Fri 28-Jan-05 22:13:52

I wouldn't be happy about it. Especially after DH told me today about an 8 month old that he heard about that fell out of its cot .

WestCountryLass Fri 28-Jan-05 22:22:26

Its not a trick question, the house is not next to the school. To get to the school you would have to drive 150m to traffic lights, turn right, drive another 20ms turn right, another 50ms turn right, 20ms turn right and the school would be about another 75ms. Friend says only gone for 10 minutes but I think more like 20 when considering parking car, collecting child, car seat getting home etc.

Gwenick Fri 28-Jan-05 22:25:49

In that case WCL - definitely not......even if not 'dangerous' happened in the house the child could still wake unexpecedtly and be left crying and alone!!!

SPARKLER1 Fri 28-Jan-05 22:27:35

I am totally shocked that someone could do that.

spod Fri 28-Jan-05 22:30:04

that is truely appauling. my dd is 15 months, i would not leave her in the house asleep or awake! so much can happen in 20 seconds, let alone 20 mins

MistressMary Fri 28-Jan-05 22:31:07

NO WAY!
The house could catch fire, be burgled, child be in distress, be ill, mum involved in accident,etc........

NO WAY!

I feel bad enough putting the bin out or even having a shower!

Gwenick Fri 28-Jan-05 22:32:30

oh dear MM - you make me feel like an awful mother - I'm quite happy to put washing on the line, put the bin out or have a shower with both kids in the house

WestCountryLass Fri 28-Jan-05 22:33:37

My friend told me this and I said it was not on and said even if house did not burn down what about X, Y and Z (accident, teacher wanting to see parent, child waking up alone etc) and friend justified by saying not gone long (although I think longer than they have said). Friend then said he had told his wife (they have seperated and although kids reside with her, she works and he is SAHD to all intents and purproses. Then I saw the wife and said could not believe that she condoned the youngest being left and she said she did not know but things that have since been said leads me to believe she does know and does not think huge issue.

Now wondering if I was over reacting, although general consensus is that I am not. Am going to do a spot check or two myself before thinking what to do as am concerned for the youngest.

Aniles Fri 28-Jan-05 22:44:50

I wouldn't do it and think it's highly irresponsible but would like to point out that, although a parent would be held responsible if any harm came to the child, it's not actually illegal to leave them on their own.

MistressMary Fri 28-Jan-05 22:45:40

No Gwenick I'm a wee sensitive soul.

beansprout Fri 28-Jan-05 22:46:29

Isn't it? I thought it was (not disagreeing, just gobsmacked).
Makes me go cold. I get fretful enough about leaving ds when I have to put the pushchair in the car and then come back and get him (and he is 3 months so he is not likely to move anywhere by himself!!!)

WestCountryLass Fri 28-Jan-05 22:46:41

I know, its such bollocks isn't it? So something has to happen to a child before any action is taken and then it would probably be too late, kwim?

Gwenick Fri 28-Jan-05 22:48:40

MM - that must make me heartless cow then

jessicasmummy Fri 28-Jan-05 22:49:50

I would social services straight away - no questions asked, no spot checking. it is absolutely disgusting and cannot believe that in this day and age anyone would seriously contemplate doing it. Many of us may want to do it a lot of times, but none of us could ever do it. I wont do anything while jess is napping... no showers no washing out - nothing. i dont even have the tv on in case i cant hear her crying. most of the time, im upstairs and trying to get my head down too. if she is asleep and i need to go out, she gets lifted and if she wants to go back to sleep, she can sleep in the car or in the buggy. This has made me soooooo angry..... i would call ss myself if you cat me the details.

helsi Fri 28-Jan-05 22:50:01

I heard a similar story from someone I know of in Wales. One of her aquaintences left her baby asleep whilst she ran her DH to work each morning. I agree with what has been said - what if they had a crash or in that time the house caught fire?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now