Talk

Advanced search

Good magazines - what do you read?

(31 Posts)
marthamoo Fri 28-Jan-05 15:47:51

I just got a leaflet offering me 50% off subscription to Eve magazine, which I have only read once - when ThomCat was in it . Flicked through the leaflet and it looked a bit "young" for me <<<parks zimmer frame and groans at arthritic hip>>>

I don't have a regular read, magazine-wise, any more - used to read Cosmopolitan avidly but since having kids it doesn't seem relevant to me any more (is it still how to find and keep your man, have multiple orgasms and blast your way through that glass ceiling?)

I quite like Junior, but find some of the articles disturbingly misinformed, and the designer children's clothes are ridiculous. I used to like She and Red (is that still around?) I don't think I'm quite ready for Family Circle and Women's Weekly so what shall I try next?

I need to find the next stage in my magazine reading life: so far I have read Pippin, The Beano, Twinkle, Just Seventeen, Cosmopolitan....and now my regular read is the Radio Times.

flashingnose Fri 28-Jan-05 15:52:53

MM - are you me? I really miss having a regular magazine - used to read She but it's pitching itself at a younger audience these days.

The magazine I've enjoyed most recently was Woman & Home !!!

Gem13 Fri 28-Jan-05 15:55:51

I don't think there is anything. I read the weekend supplements and Hello! if I feel indulgent. I would love a 30 something magazine for women which isn't all about relationships, diets, crap quizzes or what to wear to your high powered office meeting. Travel, books, music, clothes (reasonable) and children (though not the Junior format).

Maybe we should start one?

flashingnose Fri 28-Jan-05 15:56:59

Gem13 - throw in some current affairs too and I'll buy it!

crunchie Fri 28-Jan-05 15:57:48

OK As a magzine guru (I am an ad manager for a womens mag) my considered veiw is this. EVE is a great mag, (I don't work for them) It is 'educational' without being patronising and is not too mumsey. RED is too full of expensive fashion and 'treats' £150 for a handbag and La Perla lingerie. Too rich for me. SHE is quite mumsy and patronising IMHO I find it boring quite frankly. Good Housekeeping could be a possible, but it is to old for my tastes, a new launch in March or April will be a Conde Nast title called Easy Living which I think might suit you.

I work for REAL magazine, a fortnightly mag that is read by late 20 and 30's who want real stories but not as trashy as some weeklies.

Does that help?

Hausfrau Fri 28-Jan-05 16:01:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsflowerpot Fri 28-Jan-05 16:04:40

Third vote for Eve. It's usually a good read and doesn't make me feel inadequate/frumpy/old and moany/poor.

Am waiting for a really fantastic subscription offer gift (holiday in Bahamas or year's supply of Clarins would do) and then will subscribe.

crunchie Fri 28-Jan-05 16:04:55

I am going to be rude and ask, what age are you lot? The reason I ask is that SHE has an average reader age of 38, Eve is similar, RED is 36 and REAL is 35.

Looking at Average ages GH is 50, Woman and Home 52, Essentials and Prima are both 42 ish.

It looks like the only mags for you if you have grown out of EVE and SHE are Home Interest mags, All of them have readers ages around the 40's!!

flashingnose Fri 28-Jan-05 16:05:19

Crunchie, have you heard of a South African magazine called Femina? I'd love to find its equivalent here.

cupcakes Fri 28-Jan-05 16:06:07

I subscribe to In Style and am considering getting a subscription to Country Living seeing as I end up buying it every month...
Used to like Red but it had a dig at sahm's for too many months on the go and I gave up on it.

marthamoo Fri 28-Jan-05 16:06:19

I'll be 36 this year, Crunchie - perhaps I should have another look at Eve!

flashingnose Fri 28-Jan-05 16:06:28

I'm 36 - have gone off She since the change in Editor.

mrsflowerpot Fri 28-Jan-05 16:06:53

I'm 34. So that makes me young for Eve - yay!

Junior has just been bought out by Future Publishing so I wonder how it will change.

cupcakes Fri 28-Jan-05 16:07:02

I'm 30

flashingnose Fri 28-Jan-05 16:07:03

Told you MM!

crunchie Fri 28-Jan-05 16:11:07

Flashingnose not heard of it sorry!!

I HAVE to read every momens mag going for my job, which certainly puts you off(!) and I have to analyse them all too, I think the new one called Easy Living is likely to be a cross between GH and RED, which could be interesting as it is a sector in the market that doesn't have a magazine targeted at them. However I only really look forward to EVE and Marie Claire. I like Glmour, but that is beacuase I am sure I am younger and trendier than I really am!!

Of course you could all read REAL and help boost my income, but I am not sure that is really allowed

iota Fri 28-Jan-05 16:30:19

my mum who is in her 70s buys Prima and passes them on to me - I'm in my 40s.

However she also buys Saga and passes that on too - and you know what? it's a good read

morningpaper Fri 28-Jan-05 16:31:59

Saga is a good read!

spykid Fri 28-Jan-05 16:33:29

I subscribe to Ece She and Red.
Yes I admit to my terrible magazine weakness.
I agreee with the down turn in She and will not renew my subscription. I love the other two, even though Red advertises items that are far too pricey imo.
Occasionally buy Good Housekeepin if there is a good article, or at christmas when I enjoy their recipes...god I sound relly old, am only 31, honest!

spykid Fri 28-Jan-05 16:33:59

that should read EVE of course....doh!

lou33 Fri 28-Jan-05 16:41:49

I read glamour and marie claire

am 38

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 28-Jan-05 16:43:30

I like Eve too. I don't think it's too young for you Marthamoo, it's aimed at 30s/40s, that middle youth market. I've gone off She a bit too although I still buy it. I also buy Red, Eve, New Woman, Marie Claire, Private Eye, The Ecologist, Heat, Closer, Star, Olive, Waitrose Food Monthly, Delicious, The Observer, The Economist (sometimes), Elle and Conde Nast Traveller. I don't buy Cosmo. Crunchie, I'm 38.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 28-Jan-05 16:43:47

Oh and I buy Glamour!

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 28-Jan-05 16:44:29

Spykid, I've also very occasionally bought GHousekeepking!

Tommy Fri 28-Jan-05 16:46:01

I'm another one who reads the Radio Times (and ,sadly, am loking forward to reading my new copy bought this morning when DSs have gone to bed! )
Always on the lookout for a good mag to read in the bath. Haven't read Eve or Red and generally end up buying Bella or something like that and cringing at all the "real life" stories and shouting at the people in them....
I'm 37

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: