Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

For all the Potteries mums - how do you eat yours?

(29 Posts)
JulieF Thu 27-Jan-05 23:56:45

As there seem to be a few of us on here. How do you eat your oatcakes.

Mine have to come from High Lane, with either bacon, sausage and beans, or bacon and tinned tomatoes.

I can't stand cheese.

Potty1 Fri 28-Jan-05 08:13:28

Wey up duck! I dusna mind where mine cum from s'long a theey not them supermarket 'uns. An thee 'as t'ave bacon n cheese on 'em. An jus a bit o brarn sauce.

RegularPotter Fri 28-Jan-05 08:37:19

Castle Oatcakes near North Staffs or Barry's in Alsager

Cheese and Tomato

Sometimes with beans on the top

Do you roll yours or 'sandwich' them?

Did you ever have them with syrup as a child (or is that just me? )

Potty1 Fri 28-Jan-05 08:40:24

They have to be rolled Regular...........I've never facied them with sweet stuff on.

JulieF Fri 28-Jan-05 13:01:58

Oh rolled definately. I've never had them with syrup or anything on either.

And supermarket ones YUK YUK YUK

lunavix Fri 28-Jan-05 15:00:52

I'm confused - potteries?

Potty1 Fri 28-Jan-05 15:02:09

The Potteries......where pots come from (and dear Robbie of course).

shevi Fri 28-Jan-05 15:02:48

thats brill potty1, i can just here the accent

colditzmum Fri 28-Jan-05 15:03:15

I used to live in Upper Tean (nr Cheadle) and I bought mine at the local butcher, who was a lovely man.

I used to put crispy fried bacon in mine.

shevi Fri 28-Jan-05 15:03:22

Sorry hear!!

colditzmum Fri 28-Jan-05 15:04:34

And you HAVE to roll them or they don't taste the same....ooooo, I really want one now, and I can't get them in Leics

shevi Fri 28-Jan-05 15:04:53

sorry colditz mum i appear to be stalking u (not really honest)

colditzmum Fri 28-Jan-05 15:05:48

[shifty-looking imoticon]

moondog Fri 28-Jan-05 15:17:30

My mum's from Biddulph-can I join!
My rellies send us lovely ones from Biddulph. Best with Cheshire chees and brown sauce-under the grill.
(Wish my dear departed Nanna could have read your post Potty1!)

Potty1 Fri 28-Jan-05 15:21:49

I have a real potters accent moondog......I've had a go at losing it but it 'wunna shift'

moondog Fri 28-Jan-05 15:24:53

I did one of my Linguistics degree assignments on Biddulph dialect. Got all my aunties and uncles to tell stories in really broad accents which I recorded and then broke down and analysed. It was great!!

JulieF Fri 28-Jan-05 16:04:18

My parents live in Biddulph too. They sell Povey's oatcakes in Biddulph.

Thee costna beat igh lane tho duck

JulieF Fri 28-Jan-05 16:09:17

Dunna worry colditzmum you can order them online here

FineFigureFio Fri 28-Jan-05 16:12:05

I useds to have mine rolled with melted chees and tomato and onion in em

KBear Fri 28-Jan-05 16:48:20

whatever they are, send some to Kent for our dinner/tea/breakfast.

RegularPotter Fri 28-Jan-05 18:26:19

Personally prefer them for breakfast, sometimes, when dh is on nights, he stops at Castle Oatcakes and brings fresh oatcakes for breakfast...yum

Mushroom and cheese is also good...

CelluliteQueen Fri 28-Jan-05 19:03:20

DH is from Clayton and I love 'em too now. He raves about the ones from High Lane (said in Stokey accent but not half as sexy as Robbie's). Personally cheese and anything goes for me (and tomato sauce).

JulieF Fri 28-Jan-05 22:33:22

I went to a Robbie concert a few years ago and he had a montage thing on a screen of local places including High Lane Oatcake Shop.

Thinking about it we must have almost as many oatcake shops as fish and chip shops.

oatcake Sat 26-Feb-05 12:03:13

cheese, beans, fried mushrooms scrambled egg, AND it HAS to be BROWN SAUCE! (we're veggies btw...)

I always get my oatcakes from bagnell road in milton. you watch the staff cook them and they make good pikelets.

living in london, I always get family and friends to bring at least two dozen down for me when they stay... actually, we're running low so anyone who wants to drop some off, let me know as they're not the same from southern sainsburys...

Potty1 Sat 26-Feb-05 13:41:12

Crikey oatcake I'm about a mile from Milton oatcake shop (if that!) Yum yum! Just had a couple actually with bacon, cheese and brown sauce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now