Talk

Advanced search

do squirrels hibernate?

(13 Posts)
Hausfrau Thu 27-Jan-05 12:59:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NameChangingMancMidlander Thu 27-Jan-05 13:07:16

I saw one about 45 mins ago crossing the road in front of me. It was actually running across the zebra crossing, don't think it'd pressed the button first though

Casmie Thu 27-Jan-05 13:16:13

I saw one near the community centre this morning, too, NCMM. I thought they were supposed to hibernate but still pop out from time to time to access their nut stores in the winter?

This calls for a Google...

Casmie Thu 27-Jan-05 13:17:35

Ah, I was wrong according to the Wildlife Trust :

"Do Squirrels Hibernate?

[*] No! Squirrels are active virtually every day - yes that's right - every day. This includes the winter too. So, we can rule out the misconception that squirrels hibernate. Unlike dormice and bats, which put on lots of body fat and then hibernate, the squirrel keeps on going right through the winter. During the autumn the squirrels do put on body weight - but nowhere near enough to make hibernation possible. Only really windy, cold or wet weather keeps the squirrels tucked away in their nests. But if the weather stays bad for a few days they will have to come out and search for food anyway.

[*] Squirrels are most active first thing in the morning, Unfortunately for us, one or two hours after dawn is the best time to see them! Once they've digested their mornings' food they will also be active at other times throughout the day, but this varies. The search for food is never ending, and this is nearly always the reason why squirrels are out and about."

NameChangingMancMidlander Thu 27-Jan-05 13:17:57

I was dropping DD off at nursery, so it might have been the very same one

NameChangingMancMidlander Thu 27-Jan-05 13:19:00

LOL @ "yes, every day" as we should be and amazed by this revelation !!!

Kelly1978 Thu 27-Jan-05 13:19:18

Squirrels don't have to hibernate, becasue they are small enough to survive despite the lack off food around in winter. They might have jsut moved home!
We watch a pair of foxes in a abandoned garden from our window. I'm sure I've seen more wildlife since moving to London than I ever saw in the sticks.

Casmie Thu 27-Jan-05 13:22:16

NCMM - I think the site is aimed at kids looking at the front page part, but it did make me giggle too.

Kelly - used to see a lot of foxes when I was in Croydon too - haven't seen one here yet, but I'm sure they're just better hidden.

Now the insects on the other hand - much greater of variety of bugs and creepy crawlies in Worcester

Hausfrau Thu 27-Jan-05 13:23:19

NameChangingMancMidlander Thu 27-Jan-05 13:23:48

bugs, ick

Hausfrau Thu 27-Jan-05 13:27:44

Hausfrau Fri 04-Feb-05 09:47:27

misdee Fri 04-Feb-05 09:53:48

oh thats good. at my MIL house is a very tame squirrel. u can walk right upto it. dd1 gets angry with it as it eats her sunflowers each summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now