Talk

Advanced search

Are you left or right handed? A couple of questions.

(50 Posts)
Posey Wed 26-Jan-05 19:52:07

Just wondered if you use your non-dominant hand for certain things.

I'm right handed.
I hold the phone to my left ear (so I can hold a pen I guess)
but I carry ds with my left arm and always hold a crisp packet with my right and use the left to get the crisps out.

Not a very interesting thread but just interested if anyone can be bothered to tell me which hand they would use

maretta Wed 26-Jan-05 19:55:41

I'm right handed but find it completely impossible to carry ds on my right arm. I think, like you say, I need to keep my right hand free.

Laylasmum Wed 26-Jan-05 19:57:31

I actually read somewhere that most mums carry and hold their babies in their left arm 80%= of people regardless of which hand they write with !!!

CarrieG Wed 26-Jan-05 20:01:35

Right handed, carry ds on left arm. One interesting one is pulling pints (used to have a pub) - I always held glass in right hand & pulled handle with left, but lots of right-handed barstaff do it the other way round.

charlie95 Wed 26-Jan-05 20:02:07

me left handed. but right hand is dominant in a lot of other things eg cutting with scissors...........cant think now i'm actually thinking about it !!!! sorry. hth.

beansontoast Wed 26-Jan-05 20:05:06

now then !my dp is left handed and because this is all anonomous i can share with you that he does allsorts of things with his right hand ...stir,pour the kettle,use a mouse,screwdriver,scissors etc the only tool he uses his left hand for is his!

MistressMary Wed 26-Jan-05 20:06:29

I'm left handed and my OH is too.
Yet we both carry our boy in our right hands!

kid Wed 26-Jan-05 20:06:50

I'm right handed, I use my right arm when carrying DS, hold the phone with my right hand. When eating crisp, I hold the packet in my right hand. When using a knife and fork, I use my right hand for fork and left for knife.

DD and DS are both left handed and they both use their right hand for scissors.

RTKangaMummy Wed 26-Jan-05 20:08:18

right handed

always hold children on left hip

phone right hand, right ear

sobernow Wed 26-Jan-05 20:12:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkdiamond Wed 26-Jan-05 20:14:19

Message withdrawn

pinkdiamond Wed 26-Jan-05 20:15:39

Message withdrawn

zippy539 Wed 26-Jan-05 20:17:05

Right handed. Hold crisps in left hand and eat them with right, hold telephone to right ear, hold kids on right side but always held them in left hand when bottle feeding with bottle held in right - wanted right hand free!

jessicasmummy Wed 26-Jan-05 20:18:13

left handed but seem to do everything else with right hand... use both hands for mouse tho!

Aero Wed 26-Jan-05 20:24:45

I am totally and utterly left-handed - hardly can do anything with my right hand, though have been conditioned to use a knife and fork in the correct/usual way. I carry my children on my right hip leaving LH free, though for reasons of posture and backache, I try to carry them in front when I remember! Use the phone to my left ear and use my neck to hold it if I have to scribe anything. Hate normal potato peelers as I can't use them (my own can be used in either hand) and whoever invented LH scissors is a genius!

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 20:33:10

same as aero, i love my left handed scissors too.

one thing i hate about being left handed is i can only use biros - any other pen that doesnt dry immediately i smudge as i write. very annoying

Aero Wed 26-Jan-05 20:34:35

used to get in trouble at school for that np and had to change how I write so that the ink doesn't smudge!
Oh - left handed cheque books are great too!

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 20:36:21

i never knew you could get them aero! must inquire...

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 20:38:04

i have to have a wireless mouse on my pc cos dh kept getting annoyed at having to change it back and forth with a cable - now its easier wireless (and i changed the right and left handed clicks, much to his annoyance)

Aero Wed 26-Jan-05 20:49:59

Funnily enough, I use the mouse with my right hand (yey - it does have a use after all!) - purely because of the position of our pc desk! However a wireless mouse with the click reversed would suit me much better, so I will enquire too! A useful swap of information methinks!

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 20:52:56

www. anythingleft-handed.co.uk

and

www.left-handed.com

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 20:53:57

have just remembered my left handed tin opener, i would starve without it! (so would dd)

Libb Wed 26-Jan-05 20:57:08

I am left handed and this sort of thing fascinating - I hold my phone in my left, ds is carried on my left and use my left to pick at food - your average leftie.

According to scientists I am using my right side brain. It makes us creative and emotional, right handers are more logical. It might also explain why mums hold babies on their left, they are either keeping their fighting arm free or using their emotions to hone in on their sixth sense (so it is not being tempered by logic). Who knows?!

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 20:58:12

very interesting libb! i am extremely emotional

berolina Wed 26-Jan-05 21:01:50

Am rh, but find it very difficult to unlock flat door with rh, need to use left.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: