Talk

Advanced search

Just had a run in with nasty man

(14 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Wed 26-Jan-05 16:17:11

Message withdrawn

Titania Wed 26-Jan-05 16:18:39

oh poor you. good on you for standing your ground though. go have a nice cup of tea and calm yourself down....... {{{HUGS}}}

EnlightenedFlum Wed 26-Jan-05 16:19:24

Youch, poor you.

Could have said ' The cheque's in the post, thanks, buy' and closed the door shapish to avoid the confrontation. But you never think its gonna escalate do you.

EnlightenedFlum Wed 26-Jan-05 16:19:32

bye, even

Yorkiegirl Wed 26-Jan-05 16:20:28

Message withdrawn

Titania Wed 26-Jan-05 16:21:28

good for you hun

amynnixmum Wed 26-Jan-05 16:22:04

Well done for standing your ground . Does he work for a company that you could complain to? Also does he claim to be a member of any guild etc? {{{hugs}}}

Yorkiegirl Wed 26-Jan-05 18:04:33

Message withdrawn

bundle Wed 26-Jan-05 18:07:42

I had this a few years back with a complete w*er who came to strip a door of ours and basically nicked it. he asked me to say it (the work) was ok, which is wasn't and I rang my solicitor (had just moved) and while I was on the phone to him the guy started being abusive to me. I threatened to phone the police and found myself shaking (I'm not normally a shrinking violet!) and crying. we took him to the small claims court in the end, but he fled the country (oz i think) because so many people were after him. nasty stuff, sorry you're having such a terrible time too, x

SOULGIRL Wed 26-Jan-05 18:07:59

As someone whose hubby is in the building trade I do assume that you wrote to him or called him first to let him know that you were not happy - this would give him the chance to put it right without it becoming confrontational? If he was not willing to do that then you are quite within your rights to withold payment, unfortunately if you did not do this you could find yourself in court.

I cant believe the amount of people (particularly the older generation) who would be happy for DH to turn up to do the work without him giving them a quote. Not saying that is what you did of course - please dont take offence I never accept work without sending a quote, they always have in writing what work and exactly what materials are included as well as a fixed price for the job. It protects us & them from misunderstandings.

Otherwise you get there & they want twice as much work done & then complain about the price!!

SOULGIRL Wed 26-Jan-05 18:12:54

As someone whose hubby is in the building trade I do assume that you wrote to him or called him first to let him know that you were not happy - this would give him the chance to put it right without it becoming confrontational? If he was not willing to do that then you are quite within your rights to withold payment, unfortunately if you did not do this you could find yourself in court.

I cant believe the amount of people (particularly the older generation) who would be happy for DH to turn up to do the work without him giving them a quote. Not saying that is what you did of course - please dont take offence I never accept work without sending a quote, they always have in writing what work and exactly what materials are included as well as a fixed price for the job. It protects us & them from misunderstandings.

Otherwise you get there & they want twice as much work done & then complain about the price!!

SOULGIRL Wed 26-Jan-05 18:16:24

SP disconnected me three times whilst trying to post - then it went on twice!! Ahh technology I love it..

Yorkiegirl Wed 26-Jan-05 18:16:52

Message withdrawn

SOULGIRL Fri 28-Jan-05 19:07:01

Id recommend always putting everything in writing - sometimes there are genuine mis-understandings but there are quite a few rogues in the building trade too.

All the publicity in the papers about how everyone in these trades were getting rich didnt help - I think it has drawn in a lot of people with unrealistic expectations of how much money is there to be made!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now