Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jehovah’s witnesses at the door, what do you say?

(348 Posts)
singsong Wed 26-Jan-05 12:11:50

I believe in god but not from same pov as Jehovah’s witnesses. I have no complaints about people choosing to follow this religion, I think it’s everyone’s right to make their own choices. Also I’ve nothing against Jehovah’s witnesses as people, we had some lovely family friends once who were Jehovah’s witnesses (although they have now moved away). But I’m not really very keen discussing these issues at the door with a complete stranger. Had a lady come round today (very nice polite lady) who was ‘spreading the word’ I did what I normally do in this situation which was be polite and have a short conversation with her about the issue in her magazine (avoiding talking about it from a religious pov but just life in general) and then said goodbye. My mum on the other hand is quite rude to them and tells them to go away quite abruptly. It’s really not in my nature to be rude but I’m worried that by engaging in conversation in this way I’m maybe misleading them into thinking I might convert and join them in their religion.
What do other people say?

galaxy Wed 26-Jan-05 12:13:15

I say I'm a Christian and already attend a local church thanks then they usually just leave.

(I don't attend church though)

MistressMary Wed 26-Jan-05 12:13:52

not today thankyou.

Potty1 Wed 26-Jan-05 12:14:43

Usually I say I'm Catholic (I'm not).

But have in the past got into a big thing about dd not being with us if we 'believed' as she has had blood transfusions.........but that just led to the gentleman trying to save us.

BIL is a witness - he married and converted.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 12:15:31

I tell them I am not interested because of their views on blood transfusions since I would have died at birth without exchange transfusions. Then I shut the door.

I don't give a stuff what religion people are when I meet them, I just don't want it rammed down my throat at my own door by strangers

Gobbledigook Wed 26-Jan-05 12:16:08

Ditto Galaxy.

Or, I say I'm in the middle of feeding my baby or something.

Smurfgirl Wed 26-Jan-05 12:16:58

I tell them that I am Catholic and attending a local church and I am happy with my faith.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 12:17:22

My mum got really angry with some when they told her she could "repent" her decision to let me have the transfusions. WTF?! It was at this point she (and I) lost all patience with them.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 12:18:25

Actually, may I just point out that I would act in a similar fashion towards any individuals "selling" religion at my door.

flatmouse Wed 26-Jan-05 12:18:50

I get annoyed at anyone coming round "selling" stuff at the door - be it jehovahs or npower! Try not to be rude - especially to actual selling, as they are just trying to earn some money - but with all these, if i am interested i will contact them not otherwise, and i do not wish to be disturbed. (They normally arrive when we're just sitting down to eat!)

Potty1 Wed 26-Jan-05 12:18:59

That's just what he said to me Soupy - like it was a sin to have saved my childs life in this way. BIL actually tried too but he got the sharp end of my tongue I'm afraid.

amynnixmum Wed 26-Jan-05 12:20:30

I am a Catholic and I tell them so. In the past I have had a couple of women who tried to convert me which was annoying but I am always polite to them. Now I tell them I don't have time to chat and shut the door before they get a chance to start a debate. Its annoying when they come round but I think that as far as Jehovah's Witnesses are concerned if you follow any other religion but theirs (or no religion) then you will go to hell on the day of reckoning. It is therefore their duty to go around and try and save as many souls as they can.

Marina Wed 26-Jan-05 12:20:30

I agree that must have been very offensive and annoying SD. I tell them I am a regular churchgoer locally (and I actually AM ) and that they are wasting their time, in the nicest possible way. Dh's oldest friend is from a family of witnesses and has left the church. Luckily he still manages to get on well with his parents.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 12:21:54

Just pain rude and insulting in my book, Potty1. "oooh, you saved your child's life? Don't worry! You can repent!"

OTOH, I shoud be grateful that my mother did not repent because clearly I'd not been a nightmare child

woodpops Wed 26-Jan-05 12:24:11

Bugger off, no I don't really but would love to. We get alot of them at ours as our next door but 1 neighbours are Jehovah’s witnesses. I just don't answer the door. Same applies to sales reps. I don't care if they can see me or hear the radio. At the end of the day it's my house and I'll answer the door to who I want. I can't stand these jumped up little sales men trying to flog you stuff and when you say not interested you get a cockey reply like oh your husband holds the purse strings in the house then. Or if you do answer the door just tell em your the babysitter!!!!

MistressMary Wed 26-Jan-05 12:25:17

My Gran, when she was eighty had the JVs come around.

Do you believe in paradise?

Yes came the relpy, but I don't believe in you!
And she shut the door.

Apparently they were in histerics when she saw them leave.

amynnixmum Wed 26-Jan-05 12:26:41

Didn't debate the transfusions thing with the ones who tried to convert me or I think Iwould have got annoyed too. As an adult you can make whatever choices you want about what to do with your own life but I don't agree that life saving drugs or techniques should be denied to a child because of their parents beliefs. Sorry if that offends anyone out there but I feel quite strongly about this.

serenity Wed 26-Jan-05 12:26:56

JWs/Utility Reps/dodgy blokes selling carpets - tell them I'm not interested and shut the door (or put the phone down!)

Slightly off topic, but I do think 'direct selling' at your door or on the phone should be banned.

singsong Wed 26-Jan-05 12:27:35

SoupDragon I would agree that I would have the same problem about any other region being discussed at the door with strangers, and thinking about it I maybe should have titled this ‘religious callers at the door’ it’s just that I’ve never had any other religious people at my door other than Jehovah’s witnesses

bran Wed 26-Jan-05 12:27:38

I don't like to give mixed signals or have any sort of conversation with them in case they feel that all they need to do is be persistant and they might convert me. So I usually ask them if they belong to a religious organisation (if they haven't already said that they do) and then say "I'm sorry but I can't discuss relion on the doorstep/with strangers", and shut the door.

beachyhead Wed 26-Jan-05 12:27:38

Isn't there a phrase which means the same as 'excommunicated' to a JW? I would quite like that phrase as I think then they run a mile....at the moment, I go the aethiest route.....

expatinscotland Wed 26-Jan-05 12:27:55

Oddly enough, I've never had one come to my door, but that could be b/c I've mostly lived in secure stairs.

A pal had Jehovahs coming by quite frequently, however. He worked at night and slept during the day and didn't enjoy being awoken. So he put a pentacle sticker on his door under the knocker. That seemed to do the trick.

Hausfrau Wed 26-Jan-05 12:28:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

galaxy Wed 26-Jan-05 12:28:33

serenity. Direct selling (outbound calling) is definitely on the increase and will continue to be a growth area for most pro-active companies. I hate it too. I've opted out through the telephone preference scheme. Shame there isn't a doorstep opt out

jessicasmummy Wed 26-Jan-05 12:29:13

my dad makes me laugh when they visit his house... he lives a stones throw from his church - can see if from the doorstep... he lets them waffle about what they waffle about and then points to the church and says "i'm happy attending there thank you" - they get really pissed off about it but it is sooooo funny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now