Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ebay question - anyone sell to overseas buyers?

(12 Posts)
CelluliteQueen Wed 26-Jan-05 07:42:14

Just wondered as I'm thinking of doing so myself.

Is it very complicated? Do you need to complete customs info etc etc?

Any advice much appreciated.

TIA,
CQ

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 07:51:56

I have done but insist that they email me first to confirm payment (I accept only sterling).

You just fill in a little green slip at the post office for custims. It just has space for what the item is and a value. It's really no hassle at all.

The only problem I have experienced is a buyer who kept trying to pay me in $ which is why I have "overseas bidders contact me first to discuss payment options as I accept only UK Sterling" in every auction description.

CelluliteQueen Wed 26-Jan-05 08:15:46

Thanks Soupdragon, that's very helpful. Do you also insist that they pay by PayPal?

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 09:38:38

No, I'm happy for them to pay anyway they like as long as it's in sterling Most do pay by Pay Pal though as it's certainly the easiest.

misdee Wed 26-Jan-05 09:40:32

dh accepts international bidders. he asks for payment thro paypal, international money order (in sterling only) or if they are really insistant will take cash in theirn currency but always asks for a bit more in case he gets charges to change it up.

Frizbe Wed 26-Jan-05 09:43:22

I always insist on payment via paypal, in sterling, as have had someone pay via international cheque in the past and it cost the value of the bloomin cheque to change it up!

Kelly1978 Wed 26-Jan-05 09:46:24

I insist on paypal too, but I have made exceptions with international money orders and cash euros, as long as I am still left with the auction value after changing the amount.

Only warning is to be careful to get postal prices right. We had a nasty surprise trying to send a large parcel to Germany, which ended up costing twice the value to send!

CelluliteQueen Wed 26-Jan-05 11:14:27

Thanks for your replies. Do you send your parcels by standard air mail or is it worth charging for "Airsure" or "International Signed For"? (I have Royal Mail booklet in front of me!).

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 11:41:54

I use bog standard air mail but I'd send things anyway the buyer wanted me to as long as they paid for it. I tend not to sell high value or large items though.

hunny Wed 26-Jan-05 12:35:00

Hi

I live in mainland Europe and buy a bit from ebay uk. I understand that the Royal Mail will cover you up to £28 if anything goes astray as long as you have a certificate of posting (free when you post the parcel at the PO counter). So for anything of a higher value it's best to insist the buyer pays for Int. Signed For with appropriate level of compensation. If things do go astray it's up to you, the sender, to put in the claim.
I've had quite a few things sent from the UK with no problem at all - they usually arrive well within a week.

hunny Wed 26-Jan-05 12:37:29

By the way, if you run into problems with any particular transaction, the ebay message boards are pretty good - people are very helpful there when there's a genuine problem.

Kelly1978 Wed 26-Jan-05 12:41:06

I usually offer international signed for as optional insurance. I think it costs around £3.50. But that's because I refuse to take responsibility for losses where the buyer hasn't paid for recorded delivery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now