Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

i think i'm being silly, but...

(18 Posts)
Sandi102 Tue 25-Jan-05 20:26:29

ds2, 8 months has a habit of rocking backwards and fowards whilst he's sitting up on the floor or sofa and I've become paranoid ever since some woman told me its bad luck for babies to be doing that, and that I should stop him! She even said put him in his walker everytime he starts rocking. Can someone please tell me she's barking mad! Or should I be concerned?

ds is not crawling yet, but that doesn't really bother me. He'll crawl when he's ready or may bypass it all together.

doggiewalker Tue 25-Jan-05 20:27:26

Woof woof, barking I'm afraid. Can't see why this should be a problem AT ALL.

Sandi102 Tue 25-Jan-05 20:28:09

THANKYOUUUUUUUUUUU.

Gobbledigook Tue 25-Jan-05 20:28:23

What a load of crap! Is he crawling yet? I've seen quite a lot of babies do this as just the first stage of their beginning to get moving!!

vict17 Tue 25-Jan-05 20:28:27

rocking is just a normal way of trying to move before a baby can crawl. She's barking

hercules Tue 25-Jan-05 20:28:42

Barking mad!

Libb Tue 25-Jan-05 20:29:09

Sounds to me like he is testing his balance boundaries maybe? perhaps he intends to go hardcore and launch himself straight to standing one day! none of this taking it gently . . .

why aren't you posting on the May thread by the way young lady?!

moondog Tue 25-Jan-05 20:29:27

Is this a piss take?!

moondog Tue 25-Jan-05 20:29:27

Is this a piss take?!

paolosgirl Tue 25-Jan-05 20:30:16

That wasn't my MIL that told you that, was it? She's well known for dishing out that sort of advice! You've got nothing to worry about - don't they all do it when they start realising they can move themselves?

doggiewalker Tue 25-Jan-05 20:32:09

I think she's a bit of a TABLECLOTHER if you ask me.

(strange kind of woman who asks for things that are inappropriate or in your case gives advice that is inappropriate)

pinkdiamond Tue 25-Jan-05 20:32:40

Message withdrawn

Sandi102 Tue 25-Jan-05 20:32:42

libb, because i get carried away when i should be writing up my methodology for my dissertation. I will come back to the may thread when I can devote more time to mumnset. I'm mainly pop onto the allergy threads these days, but will come back to full force in may..missing you all though..and I just had to get this one on, because this woman really pissed me off

cat82 Tue 25-Jan-05 20:33:49

My dd (also 8 mnths) rocks back and forth as well! She's also not crawling, and hasn't really discovered her knees yet either.
I'm not toooo worried, i have to agree with dogwalker and say "woof woof"

Casmie Wed 26-Jan-05 09:28:16

WOOF WOOF!

Sounds like he's testing his balance out and getting ready to move for crawling, to me. Actually signals to me that he's incredibly sturdy while sitting up! Well done your ds2!

Ponka Wed 26-Jan-05 09:41:13

Two Sandwiches short of a picnic, I think. Probably the kind of lady that always carries lucky heather and stays in bed on Friday 13th. DS is 8 months and rocking like mad. I didn't realise it was a standard thing until you wrote about it. I'm glad you did. I was a bit worried it was because he was bored or something, you know, like animals rock in small cages in a zoo but I think it probably is a balance thing. He's not short of my attention, or of toys after this Christmas!

galaxy Wed 26-Jan-05 09:43:17

oh for God's sake. My dd is 2 and still rocks backwards and forwards in her car seat. What a nutcase

sunnyhill Wed 26-Jan-05 09:55:01

Hi Sandi102
All children develop in their own time and your ds2 is probably just finding his balance and enjoying the movement. Here is where the ex OT kicks in, please don't rely on the baby walker to develop his crawling or walking. He is better being left to his own devices on the floor and crawling his way when he is ready or pulling up on the furniture when he is ready to stand. Sorry, but I hate baby walkers and bouncers as they can do more harm than good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now