Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can someone recommend a special restaurant in London

(14 Posts)
valleygirl Tue 25-Jan-05 12:46:27

Hi

Mt best friend is leaving to go travelling for 6 months next week and I am going out with him for a farewell dinner tomorrow night. Want a recommendation for a lovely restaurant serving good European food in central London (preferably west-end/covent garden area as best for both of us to meet up), don't want to break the bank, but happy to spend £40 each including bottle of wine. Not getting any inspiration from lastminute and toptable out of action.
Thanks for any suggestions
vgxx

phatcat Tue 25-Jan-05 13:02:01

Andrew Edmunds on Lexington Street would be my choice - don't know if you will get a table at this short notice though.

suzywong Tue 25-Jan-05 13:08:47

including bottle of wine ....... erm Smiths of Smithfield has a great atmosphere and great if you like meat. A lot

NotQuiteCockney Tue 25-Jan-05 14:12:59

It's easy to spend much more than £40 in central London. One nice-ish place is Chez Gerard on top of Covent Garden itself. It's a chain, serving French food, but the food is pretty good, and I think it would be within your price range.

fisil Tue 25-Jan-05 14:20:25

I can't think of anywhere "special" but I can think of reliable, always get good food: Cafe Emm/Flo (Emm is more special, Flo tends to be a bit plasticky these days) and of course you can't go wrong with Browns on St Martins Lane (especially if you have the overwhelming urge to drink Champagne as I always do!). You will probably push close to your £80 if you have a full meal at either of those, actually!

Sponge Tue 25-Jan-05 14:23:18

The Bleeding Heart restaurant is really nice, great atmosphere, trad french food, interesting slightly hidden away historic location.
Go upstairs rather than to the posher downstairs restaurant.
B;eeding Heart Yard, just behind Hatton Garden, so not right in the centre but not too far.

MissChief Tue 25-Jan-05 14:24:49

Criterion often have special deals, particularly if you eat early - food quite good and stunning interior nr Pic Circus (i think?).
Anchor & Crown nr Waterloo - wonderful, simple British pub food but mainly for carnivores, was gourmet pub of the yr or something similar .

fisil Tue 25-Jan-05 14:26:37

Just thought of Rocket. It was down the back near Bond Street. I could look up exactly where. But it must be several years since we went there. I often sit watching the Fimbles thinking "Rocket used to mean a special night out in a relaxing restaurant to me!"

leglebegle Tue 25-Jan-05 14:28:10

My favourite restaurant is Chez Bruce but its in Wandsworth by the common not in central london so is probably no good for you. Its worth the trip if you like french food, I had my wedding reception there too I liked it so much!

desperatehousewife Tue 25-Jan-05 14:47:09

My fave is Blue Print Cafe - overlooking tower bridge - although not central london, not far off. Great view of river and bridge and nice relaxed atmosphere - very good food (Conran's first restaurant)

NotQuiteCockney Tue 25-Jan-05 14:47:51

Oh, you could go to Comptoirs Gascon. It's in Smithfield. I think it's reasonably cheep. Club Gascon is lovely, but it's easy to spend £50 there before food ...

valleygirl Tue 25-Jan-05 16:48:33

thanks everyone - Rocket has been booked. thanks for all suggestions! vgxx

TinyGang Tue 25-Jan-05 17:07:43

Hope you have a nice time! Just in case you need another idea, we had a lovely meal in 'Joe Allen's' (Exeter St. Covent Gdn). Quite an 'after theatre' sort of place, but I loved it

fisil Tue 25-Jan-05 17:14:44

oh vg, please tell me how it goes - maybe I can convince dp to take me there again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now