Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got guinea pigs? and if so how do you clip their nails?

(8 Posts)
juniperdewdrop Sun 23-Jan-05 23:32:42

I have 2 and their nails are sooo long now. Do I need to take them to the vet or is it safe to cut them myself?

Catan Sun 23-Jan-05 23:34:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

juniperdewdrop Sun 23-Jan-05 23:37:02

thanks for that, will do it next time they're bathed

sallystrawberry Mon 24-Jan-05 00:00:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

biglips Mon 24-Jan-05 00:57:22

you can buy nail clippers for g. pigs (as ive got 2 called holly and ivy - i also had thelma and louise but sadly died)

the nail clippers are called 'Mikki' from pet shops and it cost a fiver, and them at a short length at a time.

juniperdewdrop Mon 24-Jan-05 09:02:41

blimey sally what a mouthful

thanks biglips, I think I'll try to get some of those as my nail clippers aren't very big. My babies are called Lavender and Rosemary

teabelly Mon 24-Jan-05 09:53:58

Juniper...like Biglips says you can buy g. pig clippers at pet shops...If your littleones have 'clear' nails you'll be able to see the blood vessel and so avoid clipping it...we had one pig with clear nails and one with black nails...nipped his nails too short a few times but it just bled a little for a short while...don't think it did him any harm tho.

biglips Mon 24-Jan-05 13:40:02

holly got clear nails and i can see the blood vessels, ivy got black nails where i cant see b, vessels so i just trim the black nails bit by bit. it do no harm if u do caught the b. vessels but you do feel terrible. you'll get used to it as holly and ivy are age 6 this dec - 05.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now