Talk

Advanced search

Shrove Tuesday- can you help please...

(18 Posts)
chatee Sun 23-Jan-05 11:37:33

Do you have any games or ideas for activities to do with pancake day(shrove tuesday) which is the beginning of February, for a group of 20-30 children of primary school age.
Someone else is doing the food/pancake making side of things, I just have to sort out games....oh and the event is going to last 2 hours.......uuuhhhhmmmm......
please oh mighty mumsnetters give me inspiration...many thanks in advance

SoupDragon Sun 23-Jan-05 11:44:18

pancake race? Have a relay race where you have to toss a pancake (real or otherwise!) in a frying pan when you run.

zubb Sun 23-Jan-05 11:44:52

a pancake race? have to be a relay type thing - maybe round obstacles, or it would be a lot of frying pans!
Could you paint eggs - or is that reserved for Easter?

zubb Sun 23-Jan-05 11:45:26

Snap! Took me longer to write my reply

SoupDragon Sun 23-Jan-05 11:47:35

SoupDragon Sun 23-Jan-05 11:51:21

Scroll down here and they suggest a pancake tossing comp where the children have to make pans out of foil pie trays, duct tape and a ruler and pancakes our of modelling clay. Also gives instructions for a race and suggests blindfold pancake tossing!

chatee Sun 23-Jan-05 16:14:39

thanks so far, any more ideas please???

chatee Sun 23-Jan-05 20:07:16

any more oh wise ones???please

purpleturtle Sun 23-Jan-05 20:09:13

Shrove Tuesday is mardi gras elsewhere - any chance of broadening to a general carnival theme? Then you could do face-painting or something.

WestCountryLass Sun 23-Jan-05 21:04:30

Can anyone remember a game where you had to cut up a bar of chocolate with a knife and fork and gloves on under a table cloth???? It was bloody hard! Maybe do that!

chatee Mon 24-Jan-05 08:00:43

bump for the weekday mumsnetters please...

PicadillyCircus Mon 24-Jan-05 08:24:09

The game with chocolate eating is fun and gets very noisy!

You have a bar of chocolate (quite a big bar and unwrapped) in the middle and items of clothes (something like hat, scarf, maybe coat and definitely gloves). You also need a knife and fork.

A dice is thrown by each person and if you get a six then you can start to eat the chocolate.........but you have to put on the clothes first and cut the chocolate up with the knife and fork. The dice keeps being thrown while this is happening and if someone else gets a six then the person trying to eat the chocolate has to take off the clothes and the next person tries.

You end up with not much chocolate being eaten, but it is fun

teabelly Mon 24-Jan-05 10:03:01

Nothing to do with Shrove Tuesday but a fun game for parties is a balloon bursting game (don't know name)...kids are in teams sitting in line, the first in each line runs to a chair at the top of his/her line, picks up a balloon blows it up and then runs all the way around his 'team line' and back up to the chair where he sits on the ballon to burst it. Once burst he goes back to his seat and the person behind him runs up to the chair, blows up another ballon etc, and the mayhem starts again. The winning team is obviously the first to have burst all their ballons and sit down in line again. Great fun and very loud...not good for those with a nervous disposition but alot of fun for kids and adults alike (adults obviously get more out of it the greater the amount of alcohol consumed at the party!!)

chatee Mon 24-Jan-05 11:32:48

thanks everyone please keep the ideas coming....

chatee Mon 24-Jan-05 12:23:35

bump as i'm off out now.....thanks

chatee Mon 24-Jan-05 18:58:24

bump for all you lovely evening m'netters.......i have to hand in my ideas tomorrow so this is my last plea for help...thanks in advance xx

Tommy Mon 24-Jan-05 19:14:46

When I lived in France we used to have all sorts of party games for Carnival - think Halloween perhaps (not literally obviously!) - doughnuts hanging on strings, apple bobbing, a pinata? treasure hunt with sweets etc as prizes, pass the orange under the chin.
Good luck - sounds like fun

purpleturtle Wed 26-Jan-05 10:08:58

What did you decide on in the end Chatee?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: